Gifted Children

I have a 7 year old that is very smart, I know that every parent says that but is my case at 4 years old they pre school recommended that I test my daughter to by passed to 1st grade and I didn't. Now she is in 1st grade and doing 2nds grade work, so I agreed to have her tested for the gifted program and she passed above her level. I very advanced in math and I felt very singled out not being with the other children my age and I was picked on for being so advanced . I don't want her lose interest in school because she already knows it and I don't want to put her in what I went through. I really don't know what the best thing is. Should I let her join the program or not?

hazle1289

Asked by hazle1289 at 7:07 PM on May. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do they have a counselor or someone at the school you can talk to? I would see. That is a tough decision. I can see why you are conflicted.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:09 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Maybe the school can give her extra work for her level? I have heard of schools doing this.
    Honestly, if it was my child I would put her in the program, it will help the child.,
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 7:20 PM on May. 3, 2009

• i feel thats a blessing to have that gift ..and just pray about it..god will give u everythin
    jml2009

Answer by jml2009 at 7:25 PM on May. 3, 2009

• The teacher has gave her work as high up as she can and she is still not satisfied. She is just to far up.
    hazle1289

Answer by hazle1289 at 7:32 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I'm in the same boat. Both my girls are 2 grade levels above. The school district keeps pushing for me to put them in all day gifted. My husband and I don't want them to be in that class with only a few kids and they will prob. be teased by others. We decided to try cyber school next year. They can move at their own pace. I don't want them to start hating learning because they aren't learning anything new. They already hate going to school. Good luck.
    mygirlsrock00

Answer by mygirlsrock00 at 7:46 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My 8th grade daughter has been in academically advanced programs since 2nd grade. The two years she spent in a "regular" classroom were awful; she was bored out of her mind so she was very disruptive. We spent a lot of time working with her to keep her brain active and engaged. She has had an amazinge education, that will continue through high school. She is in a six year high school program (at the same high school Michele Obama attended), and will graduate high school as a college sophmore, saving us 25% of her college expenses.
    Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 PM on May. 3, 2009

• i would put her in the program. and just do what you can to keep her involved in extra curriculars and sports or something that will help her around lots of friends and people her age. if she is involved in different things she should have a sort of security from some of the bullying maybe. even if she doesn't do the program, she will have to deal with torment from kids. they would do it for other reasons if it wasn;t for her being smart. its part of growing up. but i think if someone is involved in activities they can build more confidence and friends.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:36 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Check out the program. See how it works, how the teachers work, what kind of enrichement they do. Not all gifted programs are the same and you may actually begin to feel very comfortable with it and like it quite a bit. She can be labeled gifted w/o doing the gifted program but she and you may really like it.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:42 PM on May. 3, 2009

• She is in dance and cheer-leading. She is very involved with our church GA's and youth program which a lot of children from her school attend. I am afraid that if I put her in the program and she is bullied she will start to play dumb to make it stop and I know she is to smart for me to let that happen which is a big part of why I am so apprehensive.
    hazle1289

Answer by hazle1289 at 8:45 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I've done it for my son, and can't wait til my daughter gets tested. In our district they don't test until 3rd grade. My daughter is 7 and in 1st grade, but is doing all 2nd and 3rd grade work. Fortunately, she is in a Montessori school and can go at her own pace. She will have the same teachers through 3rd grade, so she won't have to prove herself every September. The gifted program for us isn't a full day program, rather special opportunities throughout the year. My son just went to a 3 day science camp he LOVED!

I would recommend enrolling your daughter and giving her every advantage you can. Do not penalize her for being smart, the bullies will take care of that.
    HFBMOM

Answer by HFBMOM at 8:50 PM on May. 3, 2009