Problems Sleeping

I have a 32 month old and she does not sleep. In October it will be 2 years of this. The doctors say it is a phase but I don't feel a phase should last this long. She sleeps 1-2 hours in a 24 hour time frame the rest of the time she is 100 miles an hour. She does this for 3-4 months then for about 2-3 weeks she will sleep normally. But then she is back to not sleeping again. Has anyone ever had this problem and what can I do. We have tried so much and nothing works please help.

hazle1289

Asked by hazle1289 at 7:26 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow! I've never heard of being this sleep deprived. My heart goes out to you. Have you checked for food allergies? She may also have adrenal/thyroid issues giving her extra energy. You have a right to ask for and get a blood test for her.

Maybe add some yoga to her day to help her relax some. They have kids yoga videos and also classes to take her to. If yoga isn't your thing, try the other end of the spectrum, gymnastics, karate, swimming or track.

I'm sure you've tried tiring her out, which is why I first suggested food. I don't really have any experience with this, but I wanted to let you know I hear you and wish you the best.
    HFBMOM

Answer by HFBMOM at 8:40 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Wow, that does not sound normal at all. I can't imagine coping with so little sleep. I'd get a second opinion - she's almost 3 years old and still not sleeping very well at all. I have no idea what could cause this. Have you searched on the internet? Best of luck - I hope someone can help you with this.
    Anonymous

• Thank you HFBMOM, She has no allergies that we know of and she was born with a heart conditions (which we have asked and is unrelated to the problem, in fact the doctor says it should be the opposite due to her condition) so all this test are ran regularly. She is in dance and tumbling. I just don't know what else to do and having two other children, one 7 year old and a 7 month old, it is killing my husband and me. It takes both of us to do it, if not then we can't work. he will go one 24 hour shift with no sleep and then I go the next 24 hours. The one staying up with the two year old deals with her and the one sleeping gets up with the other two if needed. But they both sleep through the night, so that is how we do it and it is very hard.
    hazle1289

Answer by hazle1289 at 8:58 PM on May. 3, 2009

• We have seen three ped. doctors and two ped. heart doctors about it to see if she was being treated to the fullest and they all say the same thing. "It is just a phase she is going through." But as I said she has been going through it for almost 2 years and my husband and I just can't do it any more. It is killing us.
    hazle1289

Answer by hazle1289 at 9:01 PM on May. 3, 2009