My 6yr. old son has just gotten in a lot of trouble at school he dropped his pants and mooned his class mates along with dropping the eff. bomb... we took away tv, toys, and he wasnt allowed to go to his friends b-day party. any ideas of how to get him to understand that this behavior is bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on May. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I can only say how I would respond. My thing would be to not allow him to anyplace outside of the house or school. The lesson would be that he does not know how to behave in public. This would be for an undetermined amount of time.
    But you must wonder why he did this. Most kids don't pull their pants down in school. Swearing? Yea, I'm amazed at what age they start now. But the pants thing.....I don't know.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:35 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I think your doing the right thing by taking things away and not letting him go places. But you also need to talk to him and see why hes acting this way. Does he have older brothers that he might be learning these things from?? Where is he learning to talk like that and moon people?? If you show him that life is pretty boring when he doesnt behave, that might make him realize how he should act. keep me posted!
    Mabbey

Answer by Mabbey at 7:58 PM on May. 3, 2009

• You need to make sure that the language and behavior that he is mimicing stops immediately.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I realize that that my insight may not help, because I agree with the other ladies here, but I would like to take a moment to ask you...Have you laughed yet?

I know, I know! This is a terrible tragedy and how could I possibly consider laughter? Quite simply really. You are now very aware that something is going on with your child. You are obviously a concerned parent, you will get this under control in no time and you will probably forget about it....until his first GF! His marriage, the first time HIS kid does something completly out of left field.

Yes, this is one of those very rare moments of his childhood you will be able to vividly recall for your entire life, and will probably retell over and over as you get older! Hang in there mom. Deal with it, laugh about it, and keep on going...tomorrow is a completely new day!
    malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 12:00 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I would have explained to him that since he seems to really enjoy dropping his pants, he could drop them for me. I would have then turned him over my knee and worn his little tail out. I would then have explained to him that his behavior was totally unacceptable and that should he repeat it, he would have his tail busted again. I would then have told him that I love him too much to tolerate such disrespectful behavior. As for the word, I guess I would have started by trying to determine where he has heard such language and removing him from that influence. I have four grandchildren under the age of 10, and I'm pretty sure they would not know how to use that word. So I have to assume that he is hearing it somewhere.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:09 AM on May. 4, 2009

• well he learned that behavior somewhere. do you cuss or watch movies where this behavior is considered funny. what what he watches on tv. lead by example and clean up your own language is necessary .
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:26 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I'm with Malinda, after I punished my child to the HILT I would laugh my ASS off lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:46 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I don't know Eire......out of the blue in church one day (not during an actual service but an after service event) our 4 year old (who was bored) just thought it would be funny to drop his pants and moon the people around us. DH picked him up and took him out quickly and not sure what he did/said but I'm sure it was something that made him know that that was not acceptable.
    Anonymous