How do I get my 2 year old to talk

My two year old daughter barely utters a word even though I talk to her alot and she goes to daycare. What can i do to get her to talk? Is this normal???

Mommy030607

Asked by Mommy030607 at 7:32 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry too much. You can ask your dr. about it. All kids develop at different times. She may just be taking everything in and then one day, you won't be able to keep her quite.lol
    mygirlsrock00

Answer by mygirlsrock00 at 7:35 PM on May. 3, 2009

• By 2 she should have between 100 and 200 words but all kids develop differently. Check with your doctor. If you're concerned, have her tested by your states Early Intervention team. We did that with out son at 18 months when he wasn't talking (and also had some other minor developmental delays). After 6 months of working with therapists, he is closing in on 200 words and doing great.
    Anonymous

• Have her evaluated.
    If there is a problem, getting her into speech therapy will help... the sooner she gets help, the better the outcome. The longer you wait, the more trouble she will have for years.
    If there isn't a problem, the person who evaluates her may have suggestions for getting her to talk more. Knowing that she is fine but just taking her time about talking will ease your mind.

But you won't know which it is until you have her evaluated.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:02 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My DD was like this. She understood eveything everyone was saying to her and could follow directions but she just wouldn't talk.

Your state should have some kind of sponsored program for kids aged 1-3 to be evaluated for free for speech, hearing, and other learning delays. I'd get her evaluated.

I never got my DD evaluated, just because I or her doctor was never worried about it. Now that she's 3, she talks a lot more. She just wasn't ready back then.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:35 PM on May. 3, 2009

• at 2 kids should be able to make a 2-3 word sentences and folow one step simple directions.
    call 1800-323-grow an early intervention program to help kids with delays.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:13 AM on May. 5, 2009