How can i help my dd gain healthy weight?

I'm worried that my DD isn't gaining enough weight for her age and I get told shes too small (17mo & 19lbs). I'm just wondering if there is anything that I can do to help her or if this is normal for the age range

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 1 year old and weighs 24lbs...and she is only in her 75th percentile for weight.

For healthy weight gain offer her foods high in good fats...like avocados.

So long as her doctor doesn't think that there is a problem (weight is also associated with height) then I wouldn't worry.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:50 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I agree. As long as your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't be. Keep offering her lots of healthy foods and she'll do just fine.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 17 months old, 34 inches and 28 pounds. Just feed her fruits and vegetables and protein. more plant fat than animal fat. give her enfamil poly-vi-sol, an infant/toddler multivitamin and have her drink organic whole milk and water through out the day. good luck...but, yes, if the pediatrician isn't worried..than you shouldn't worry too much either.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:04 PM on May. 3, 2009

• my son is 1 and about 20 lbs. the dr. was concerned at his 7 month checkup because he was barely in the 2% so we had all these bloodtests done. his liver enzyme count was high and so more tests had to be done including a liver ultrasound and we had to travel 3 hours to see a specialist. all the tests have been negative and though he is still in the vey low percentile he has showed improvement and the dr.s are content that he is just a tiny baby! he has a buddha belly, walked at 10 m/o, laughs and smiles, and eats like a piggy. so he is healthy and my little blessing =0)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:54 PM on May. 3, 2009

• She sounds right about where she needs to be to me.

My oldest DD was heavier than that at 19 months, but that's because she was a chunky monkey then lol. I was worried that she was overweight, but as she got older, she got taller and thinned out. She's now 3 and 31 pounds, right where she needs to be...although I do miss her little rolls. :(

My youngest DD has always been tiny. She weighed 20 pounds up until about 2 months ago, and she's 22 months. Now she only weighs 25 pounds...still small, but perfect for her height, because she's petite. She doesn't miss ANY meals, so I don't know how she doesn't weigh more lol.

But if your child's ped isn't worried, you shouldn't be either.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:38 PM on May. 3, 2009