What Helps Asthma?

I was outside the most I've been all year! It was Sunny & 68!! Perfect! I hung Laundry outside, Cleaned, straightened, swept, & bagged up leaves Etc... A couple hours later!! My airways... & Wheezing SO Bad!! I coughed & Coughed!!
Even my chest & Everything Aches & hurts!! DH & I are Jobless. No insurance, any Savings, nothing left.. I feel Hopeless,. So I used my old Expired Albuterol inhaler. Is there any other Relief I can find?? I'm Afraid it was those never ending leaves... & me Sweeping them up & all the Dirt & Sand Etc... What do you think? What do you use or do to prevent this??

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 8:16 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Health

• Yes, what you did is sure to bring upon an asthma related attack. If you go outside and do this stuff, you really need to use a mask. If you can afford it, you can pick up one of those over-the-counter inhalers, they aren't the best, but they will do. You expired inhaler might do some good, but not necessarily. If you have Benedryl, you can take some of that. Also, try going into the bathroom and steaming it up. Close the door, turn on all the hot water and just sit in there. If you have some vicks, you can appy that to your chest. If you feel like you are constricting, I would suggest you get to ER as soon as possible, because airways can close fast.
    Anonymous

• For me, hot black coffee worked to open my air ways. I know it sounds weird, but the doc explained that is actually does work. The steam off the coffee helped to open my airways while the caffeine in the coffee worked to help ease the pain. So, I suggest that. And I know for me, when i was having an attack, Vic's actually made it worse.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:26 PM on May. 3, 2009

• according to my SKs doctor they don't reccommend using VICKS if you have asthma. my own daughter can use vicks but my SKs can't because they have/have had asthma. I dont know what it does, but I have never risked it.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:28 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My hubby says hot coffee works due to the mixture of caffeine and heat. He uses that as a treatment more often than his inhaler.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:00 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I have had asthma for about 15 years. It has many triggers, mostly stress and seasonal allergies. I do not have any dairy in the spring and fall. My symptons became much milder when I stopped eating meat. many food additives can trigger asthma; follow these two simple rules: don't eat any foods with ingredients that you can't pronounce. Don't eat any foods with ingredients that your great grandmother would not recognize.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 AM on May. 4, 2009