My baby boy is scared of the potty.

Any ideas on how to get him over this being scared and start potty training. He will be two next month and he knows when he is going to thte bathroom cause he grabs his we we and trys to take his diaper off.

Thank you

lelandsmom6707

Asked by lelandsmom6707 at 8:27 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest was terrified of the big potty. I put his potty chair outside the door of the bathroom. After that we just encouraged and praised. Eventually we used a reward system to get him to use the big potty. Just stay positive.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:33 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I would say he isn't ready. Boys usually aren't at 2 y/o. They are usually closer to 3 y/o. I got my son a little potty chair that sings from Target and I haven't forced him to do any business on it even though he tells me when he has to pee pee and when he has to poop. I let him come with me to the bathroom and he sits on his potty chair when I sit on the toilet. I think the best thing is just to let him do it on his own. He will get over being so scared when he is ready to train :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 9:38 PM on May. 3, 2009

• He doesn't sound like he's ready. To be honest, this isn't a battle you're going to win- so let him decide when he's ready to potty train.

Usually parents who end up in potty battles with their kids walk away feel frustrated and angry, with the child being the winner. The children ALWAYS win the potty battle.

You don't want to force him to use it...he'll just end up with anxiety over using it and it'll end up taking longer. My DD is 3 and we've JUST started to potty train. Why? She wasn't ready.

She still has more accidents than success (and she should, since we just started), but she's WILLING to use it now and not fight me.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:41 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My son is a little over 2 and although I don't believe you force them parents need to encourage them to use the potty, if not it will take longer and become more challenging. My son has been sitting on the toilet before his night time bath. Nothing yet, but at least he's sitting...small steps.
    nywifey

Answer by nywifey at 11:27 PM on May. 3, 2009

• LOL My son just hides when hes pottying. When I catch him I ask him if he wants to use the big boy potty or I just try to encourage him to use it and he tells me no!! I dont know if hes scared or just lazy lol.... But he will sit on it when I go in there to potty.. I just dont think hes ready yet
    ladybug.ky88

Answer by ladybug.ky88 at 11:37 PM on May. 3, 2009

• If he knows when he needs to go and is trying to remove his diaper, he is ready.  If he is afraid of the potty, don't use it.  My son prefers to pee standing up like his dad.  I take the bowl out of the potty and hold it in front of him to pee. Make it fun and help him along.  Eventually he'll overcome his fears.  This is all typical around age two; the fears along with stubbornness and wanting control.  The popular opinion is that boys are around 3 years when they're "ready".  Mine was out of diapers at 19 1/2 months and it took just over a week. 

http://raisingrocco.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/potty_trained_under_two/

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:18 PM on May. 4, 2009