Do any of you have some cheap and simple recipes?

I am a mom of almost 5 and right now with the new baby coming and birthdays for my 3 little ones we are on a tight budget and i am going grocery shopping tomorrow but would like some help with some different meals. My kids get tired of eating the same thing all the time. They are not picky eaters at all so ingredents really dont matter much, just looking for simple inexpensive ways to feed the kids.

mommyof3nluvnit

Asked by mommyof3nluvnit at 8:27 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Replace meat with beans and lentils. You can make stews, soups, chili, sloppy joes, tacos, burritos, casseroles, etc., all without meat. Do you have a crockpot? it makes cooking so much easier. Please contact me directly if you would like me to forward recipes to you. Saving Dinner the Vegetarian Way is a great cookbook, filled with simple recipes; send your husband to the library to look for it.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:32 PM on May. 3, 2009

• PASTA , BEANS AND RICE.
    I THINK CHICHEN IS THE CHEAPER... I HAVE 5 KIDS MYSELF AND I KNOW HOW IT FEEL TO BE IN TIED BUDGET.
    Anonymous

• There are many meals to make with hamburger: meatloaf, hamburger patties, vegetable soup, spaghetti, and tacos are a few. Those don't cost too much. Also, Cabbage and potatoes with hotdogs is a very inexpensive meal, but is filling.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 8:47 PM on May. 3, 2009

• oh girl i have tons...im a SAHW of a military guy. we dont make big bucks so we make em stretch like rubber!! i have too many to really list but ill give you some names and if you want the actual recipe PLEASE feel free to message me...(i get most of these from fellow wives or my aunts..my dad has 8 siblings so you KNOW they got cheap recipes!!) and i never spend more than 45 min cooking as a rule! ok to name a few......cheesey broccoli baked potatos, spanish chicken and rice bake, chicken tortilla soup, sweet sausage and peppers rotini, oven fried chicken, taco ring, easy salisbury steak, SOS, oh man...i have tons lol...please please feel free to message!!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 10:48 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I read cookbooks like they are novels, and then go to the store and start in the meat section- and get whatever is cheapest. This week I got a nice bone-in ham for 1.49 a lb. I roasted that and sliced it today. It was ten dollars. We will have a ham and egg casserole one night, scalloped potatoes with ham and a green salad another night, and ham, potato and green bean soup with biscuits another night. Whatever is left will be frozen, because we will be tired of ham. Wed. night we will have spaghetti with sausage (leftover frozen from another large package) pizza thursday when I work. The other two nights we will eat vegetarian. If you need recipes or help just message.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:07 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I cook HEALTHY meals for very cheap. I will do like the person above and list the meals and if you want the recipe please feel free to send me a message. I'm always willing to share recipes!

We use ground turkey or different cuts of chicken for the most part. We love: chicken under a brick, crock pot pork roast, turkey chili, shepherds pie, red beans and rice, chicken and dumplings, homemade burritos, chicken pot pie, homemade hamburger helper, breakfast burritos, bean soup with corn bread, hamburger salad (its very yummy), and stir fries (normally chicken with various vegetables and sauces).
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:10 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I've made my own variation of a chilli con carne but none of us are too keen on kidney beans so i use, 1Lb Mince meat 1 onion 1 tin of baked beans Chilli powder (to taste) It doesn't cost the earth and is a yummy dinner served with rice. Because u can vary the amount of chilli the kids love it too x

KerryLou

Answer by KerryLou at 10:41 AM on May. 4, 2009

• brown up some hamburger meat and drain it (leave it in the colander), make a box of beef rice a roni. When the rice is almost done, but the hamburger back in. My hubby LOVES this and it's cheap as you can get. We also eat tacos every few weeks. Hamburger helper is a hit as well! I'm a member of a recipe group that is simple, easy recipes and stuff like that. You should check out some of the recipe groups. Also, I think it's Campbell's has where they break down the price of a meal and how much you're actually spending and that makes you feel better about what you're spending!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:54 PM on May. 4, 2009

• 1 1/2 pound ground meat, lean about $3.50 here
    1 bag wide no yolk egg noodles $1.19
    I large can of Cream of Mushroom Soup GV is cheapest $.99c.
    Brown meat in large skilet, heat pot of water to boil for noodles. Once meat is fully browned add Large can of Mushroom soup and simmer on low while noodles are cooking for 8 minutes. Drain noodles. Serve meat and mushroom soup over noodles. Serves 6 :-) All for about $6.00
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 1:48 PM on May. 4, 2009

• 1 1/2 pound ground meat $3.50 1 box pasta $1.19 1 large can of hunts tomatoe sauce $1.00 1 can diced tomatoes .89c Capful of Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning $2.00 for seasoning. about 10 meals -Brown meat in large skilet, boil water for pasta. Once meat is browned add cans of sauce and tomatoes and a capful of Mrs. dash garlic seasonings. About $8.00 plus add garlic bread walmart has it for 1.50 already buttered and garlic. www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com

Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 1:54 PM on May. 4, 2009