allergies please help

I'm confused about allergies... My 8 month old daughter was given cooked egg white (my mom misunderstood which part she could eat) and had no reaction so far (it was a few hours ago). So what's the deal with allergies.., can they develop them if you continue to feed them the food, or if there was no reaction is it okay to continue? I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow, but if anyone knows more about this I'd be interested. Do you actually cause the allergy by giving these foods early, or do lots of little babies have the allergy and outgrow it by 12 months.. Any input, please. Thanks.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 8:36 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Food allergies happen when a food protein enters body tissues. Usually proteins are broken down in the intestines, but sometimes they make it into the blood without being broken down. The protein is then treated as an "invader" and sets off the bodies immune system by attacking it with antibodies, histamine, or other defensive agents.

Any food high in protein (like egg whites) can set off this reaction, which is why foods high in protein are highly recommended to be introduced to a babies diet AFTER the age of one, when they are more likely to be able to break down the protein in their system.

That is all paraphrased from my nutrition book - I hope that helped. If there is anything else I can help with, feel free to message me.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:50 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Oh, something else about food allergies...."They ALWAYS involve antibodies; they SOMETIMES involve symptoms. Therefore allergies cannot be diagnosed from symptoms alone. Sometimes a reaction is delayed up to 24 hours, making it difficult to to identify the offending food."

Keep an eye on her for the next 24 hours for any signs. If that is the only new food she has had, you will know it was the eggs.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:52 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My son has a couple of food allergies and I bought "Food Allergies For Dummies" - funny sounding but it was VERY informative :)

You can be given a food once and the next time you can have a reaction. They used this with peanuts as an example. You may eat peanuts and feel fine and then the next time you eat it, you can go into anaphylatic (sp?) shock.

Of course, with eggs, you don't have that serious of a reaction. To be on the safe side, I would wait until she is a little older to give her eggs.

I believe that eggs is age 5 if they have the allergy that they will outgrow it. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 9:20 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My doctor had a different view on it.

My oldest DD was given a lot of foods (peanut butter and eggs being two of them) before she was supposed to...not by me, by my parents, who just thought I was being overprotective. About 2 days after she had eggs, she had a well-baby visit, so I took my mom with me so she could hear it straight from her ped's mouth about the dangers of giving babies things they shouldn't have.

My DD's ped pretty much told me that as long as she didn't have a reaction to it, that it was ok to keep giving it to her, since she'd already had it. She THEN explained to my mom the dangers of what she was doing, and my parents never did it again.

But your child's doctor might have a different view. Until you see the doctor, I'd hold off on giving her any more eggs, if you feel like that's what you need to do.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:25 PM on May. 3, 2009

• kids outgrow allergies,my daughter was allergic to peanuts when she was smaller,and dairy products,shes 6 now and outgrew it.
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 9:55 PM on May. 3, 2009

• And I totally forgot to say this - I know I made it sound like its only protein - its obviously not only that. Its any large molecule that your baby can't break down. And the book also says that if the child was not pre-disposed to the allergy (such as a gluten allergy) that they were meant to live with the rest of their lives, they will likely outgrow it by age 5.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:18 AM on May. 4, 2009

• My son has a serious allergy to eggs. An egg allergy can produce anaphalatic shock. We have epi-pens. He's also allergic to quite a few other foods, but eggs is the most serious. I would do as the pp suugested and keep an eye on her for 24 hours, allergic reactions can be immediate or delayed. Allergies can also present at any time. She could have eggs 15 times, then have a reaction. Its not common, but it happens. Chances are she'll be fine if you havent noticed anything till this point. Id hold off on them again until after she's one though. The proteins in eggs are very hard for babies to break down with or without an allergy, which is why they recommend waiting till after age 1.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 8:30 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Before babies turn one, it is best to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list, but includes egg whites, wheat, soy, dairy, citrus, strawberries, nuts (which should not be given until 2). You will hear lots of: well I gave that to my baby and he is just fine; you need to decide if the risk is worthwhile.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 AM on May. 4, 2009