What pet would be ok for a 4 year old?

Landon is almost 4, and really wants a pet. He's been asking for almost a year now and we have always said not yet. Todd thinks that maybe there is something out there that we could get him that we could help with. Maybe a fish? I don't know! He really wants a dog but I told him he'll have to wait for a while for that one. Do your kids have pets? Just some ideas please... thanks!

Lindsay21488

Asked by Lindsay21488 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Pets

• most kids love cats. my 15 month old loves her big fat fluffy cat. she watches the cat and says kitty all day
    mommysterling2

Answer by mommysterling2 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Our son's first pet will be a fish, because we are big on fish keeping in this house. However, if your son's heart is set on something like a dog then I would choose something a little more...erm...cuddly. My suggestion would be a gerbil or a hamster. Other than cleaning the cage, which isn't all that hard, they are simple animals to care for. Good luck!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 3:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• well fish are probably the easiest to take care of, but not the biggest fun for kids, b/c they can't hold or cuddle them. A dog is best as long as u find the right breed and temperament dog.
    Try along the lines as a hamster or other type of small animal.

We have a lab and a bearded dragon lizard.
    Isabelles_mommy

Answer by Isabelles_mommy at 3:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i would get a puppy.
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 3:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Guinea pigs make EXCELLENT children's pets. They are clean, rarely ever bite, small, cuddlable and only live about 4 years, not 20-something like some dogs, birds or fish.
    MusikMama

Answer by MusikMama at 3:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I wouldn't get a fish because from experience my girls wanted to hold the fish and picked it up all the time and it eventually died. I would go for a puppy or kitten.
    lisafc

Answer by lisafc at 3:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• The best dog in the world for children is a Golden Retriever. They make great family pets because they are so loyal and so intelligent. I have a ten week old Golden Retriever puppy named Zoe who is already housetrained, kennel trained, she comes when you call her, she knows "sit" and I can leave her in the yard with or other dog Zooka and she stays in the yard. They also have a very nice temperment so they tolerate kids great!
    avongranny

Answer by avongranny at 3:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• The best pet I bought for my kids is our pet tourtise. Hercules. He is very low maintence. and the live forever.. plus they are cool to watch eat.. this one is very tame we pet him and carry him around and everything.
    Brneyedphotog

Answer by Brneyedphotog at 4:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i used to work at a pet store and I always recomend a rat for a first pet! Now before you freek and think ewww no way here are the reasons why. they are fairly low maintnace no more then a fish would be, they are generaly tame and can deal with ALOT more man handling then a puppy or kitty can, They come in a wide variety of breeds not just white with red eyes. And my biggest point is unlike a cat or dog or reptile wich are all awsome pets for older kids, they only live about 2 years, We all know how fast their interests change so it gives them a nice pet and helps teach all the same life and responsibilty lessons as a cat or dog.
    Hope this helps, try a google on fancy rats and see if theres any you could live with!
    2littlemonkeys

Answer by 2littlemonkeys at 4:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We have a bassett hound. She is the best dog. She was such a good puppy. She loves the kids too. She has enough energy to play w them and then she crashes! LOL!
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 5:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008