Rice cereal

Im starting my daughter on it tomorrow...and I was wondering what time of the day its best to start them out on it!?!?

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 9:13 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started it in the morning, just so we could make sure she didn't have any kind of allergic reaction from it throughout the day.
    Anonymous

• Anytime during the day would be a good time, I think, but definitely not before she goes to sleep.

It could upset her tummy and she could be up all night. If you do it during the day, at least you can keep an eye on her body's reactions.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:22 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Shes kinda young for solids its recommended that solids wait til 6 months, so start off very slow...I would say start with something besides cereal..its wasted nutrition...the iron is badly absorbed and it lacks just about anything else...morning is the best time to start to watch for allergies...always give solids on a spoon never in a bottle btw, and always before BFing is you are doing that, don't replace feedings of formula or BM with solids
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:25 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I STRONGLY recommend waiting until 6 months to start any solids.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 9:34 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I would wait until 6 months....her digestive system is still so young and it might upset her tummy
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:37 PM on May. 3, 2009

• You know alot of people think you should wait til a child is 6 months or older to start solid food. But as a mom of 6, I fed my kids cereal as early as 3 weeks old, very soupy of course. I started out in the morning for a few weeks, and when the kids tolerated that ok, then I would also feed at night before bed to help them sleep better. I found that when a baby has a full tummy and fees satisfied they feel alot better. Just make sure you do a good job at burping. My kids are now 26,24,23,19,13 and 13, all are healthy kids.
    Twintrapbreak

Answer by Twintrapbreak at 10:40 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Well, I generally like to eat cereal in the morning, so if I were to give my kids rice cereal, that's when I'd do it. I don't care much for the stuff, so we skipped it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:35 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Many nutritionists are recommending skipping cereal and starting with avocado as baby's first food. I love the book Super Baby Food; you should be able to find it at your local library, more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 AM on May. 4, 2009