Have a question I'm trying to answer for four year old son?

I'm having problems trying to explain to my son how cows feed their babies cow milk just like Mom feeds his baby sister "mom milk". He insists that "baby cows don't eat that" because "cow's milk is for boys." I'm kind of lost in his logic.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issues like this, and how you handled it. Thanks, mama's.

Bazora

Asked by Bazora at 9:15 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• And FYI, I've been feeding my children almond, oat, or soy milk since weaning instead of cow's milk. I have been fighting with my husband's grandmother over it for more than two years, that they're my children and it's my choice of what I think is healthier for them. But I'd rather not get into an argument over this... I just want an answer to the above question. Thanks :)
    Bazora

Answer by Bazora at 9:17 PM on May. 3, 2009

• honey you made the mistake of adding that second part if you didnt want a debate you should have never added it it has nothing to do with the question at hand,. my daughter drinks soy only cuz she cant have whole milk it constipates her. but i have no idea how to answer your original question sorry
    Anonymous

• if my son ever asks (he's 1 so I have a while to go lol) I'll probably explain that "mommies make milk for their babies. cows are mommies too!"
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:24 PM on May. 3, 2009

• oh and if I were in your situation I might add "and milk is for boys AND girls!! maybe he said milk is for boys because he was your first baby? or maybe he's going through the "girls have cooties" phase? lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:25 PM on May. 3, 2009

• me again!! LOL I have only weaned my son to dairy milk because it's the cheapest (1 gallon is cheaper than the 1/2 gallons of soy milk...etc). but I would like to offer a different type of milk. I do try to stick with non-hormonal dairy milk though!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:27 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Owl_Feather: you can make your own rice or almond milk. I don't personally think they are more nutritious because they lack protein. I think my DD's rice milk had like 1g of protein... But just google and you can get recipes on how to make it.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:11 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Maybe try getting a dvd about farm animals and have him see where the heifer feeds her calf. Maybe google that too, shoing this happening. Otherwise, try checking out a dairy, or local farm extension agent, maybe they can tell you of something you can show a four year old where cows milk comes from. Maybe a childrens book, PBS...good luck!
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 3:13 AM on May. 4, 2009