Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it kidnapping if a single mom takes the child without telling the baby's father?

There seems to be a lot of false information on this topic tonight (in Answers)...anyone know what the law actually says?


Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • Don't listen to them

    she can not do what ever she wants.
    The courts will catch up to her.
    A father has rights too.

    Answer by Dannee at 10:00 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • I consider that kidnapping.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • If the FATHER took the child, the woman would be screaming "kidnap"!! Why should it be different for the woman??

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • No it's not kidnapping unless you take the child away and hide the child keeping him from her however, to make yourself feel better go to (or .org) and link to KNOW THE LAWS. It will bring up your state and read it. OR go to (2 v's not a w) and ask a lawyer for free or call the local police and ask.

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:20 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • ???? for you do you have paper work from the courts that you and the babys father share cusidy if yes then yes it is kidnaping if no then no it is not

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • So if the FATHER decides he wants to move out and he's taking the baby with HIM, would THAt be considered kidnapping?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • You didn't state whether his name is on the child's birth certificate. No one, not even me can give you a YES or NO because different states have different laws regarding domestic issues. You need to call your local police department and ASK them if you can take the baby and if it's considered kidnapping. I would really hate to give you legal advice and then it not apply in your state.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:31 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • If there is no custody as of date, you can leave the state..
    but remember that if he goes and files a motion in court, you will have to come back to
    the state that you left.
    If you have lived in the state you are playing to leave for 6 or more months, that state has
    juridiction, which means that state is your home state and your case will be heard there.

    Answer by Dannee at 9:33 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • If custody is not established then both have equal custody. The only way that it's kidnapping is if the other parent takes the child (nott during their time) and leaves. Also, if the custodial parent moves out of the school district without consent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • If there is custody established and she has joint custody,she can get in trouble. It is considered parental interference. If there is no custody, she can do whatever she wants.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:50 PM on May. 3, 2009

Next question in Relationships
I dont know what to do...

Next question overall (Pregnancy)