Any advice how to get my very stubborn 4 year old son to potty train?

I have tried everything! Rewards, chart with stickers, cheerios in the potty to pee on (lol), etc. I stopped putting pull-ups on him hoping the wetness would make him uncomfortable enough to want to go on the potty. No such luck. He will poop in his pants and not say anything also. I really want him to go to Kindergarten in the Fall. He'll be 5 in September.
I think he enjoys being a baby too much. He peed once on the potty, but didn't seem very pleased with himself. I don't get it. What can I do? He has an appt. with his pediatrician this week just in case there could be a physical problem.

Chickadee

Asked by Chickadee at 9:17 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We put our daughter back in the toddler class room, away from her friends. We told her that if she continues, she will have to be around teachers tha tcan care properly for this type of bathroom behaviour. It took about 2 days in cloth training pants and no friends and she started going in the potty more (this was a poop issue mostly).
    Anonymous

• My ds is five, we had huge issues with potty training, and he still has accidents if he gets distracted for too long, but they are few and far between now. What I did was just leave him alone. No rewards, no stickers, no attention for it. I also stopped calling them accidents in front of him. Just, oh I see you decided to poop your pants, go clean yourself up now. I made HIM do the cleaning. Underwear and all.
    southernwldchld

Answer by southernwldchld at 6:58 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Do you have a close friend or family member he could go stay with for a weekend? Maybe someone else expecting potty trained behavior, will get him to go potty. I've heard all kinds of people say that their children wouldnt potty train and a grandmother or friend took them for the weekend and the kid returned on Sunday, fully trained.
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 10:29 AM on May. 4, 2009

• OMG you sound exactly like me. We have done and tried all the same things! I started this thing a friend did. You have to have the time.First get rid of diapers and pull ups, at least so he thinks they are GONE! Set a timer. Starting at 10minutes. When it goes off they must sit and try. Believe me it was a struggle at first but it seemed to work. Dont sit around in the bathroom with him. Just say ' you need to try and push and go' then when hes done tell him to call you and you will help him if he needs it. No praise. If he goes then great! My son has 0 accidents and he would pee and poop with no big deal. It is working for me! GOOD LUCK!!!
    Onthe5yearplan

Answer by Onthe5yearplan at 4:38 PM on May. 5, 2009

• google potty resistance. There is a ton of very helpful information on this subject. Boys ughhh!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:55 PM on May. 6, 2009