For those who have had an epidural...

Do you have to get a catheder (sp?) as well when you get an epidural? I do not know exactly what they do to put a catheder in you, but it doesn't exactly sound enjoyable. I'm just curious, and bored. lol.

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 9:21 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• what ever they had to do was not painful. the epi was wonderful i loved it. even asked if they had a compact one i could take home with me. lol
    Anonymous

• Yes, they will insert a catheter into your bladder.
    Anonymous

• i didnt get a catheder (sp? lol ) .... they drained me every few hours, which didnt hurt at all, i didnt even feel anything... but they said that if i wanted a cath i could get one... eventually i could feel when i had to go and they would drain me... its not uncomfortable at all.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 9:24 PM on May. 3, 2009

• yeah they put a cathedar in when you get an epi since you won't feel your bladder or be able to get up and pee. I *think* they put it in after the drugs kick in but either way it really doesn't hurt just a pinch
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:24 PM on May. 3, 2009

• yes, they put a catheter in right after they give you the epidural. i actually had 2 epidurals...the first one caused my baby's heart rate to go down and my blood pressure to lower...i needed oxygen, fluids and lay on my left side....the pain came back after 45 minutes...i couldn't believe it wore off...so, the anesthesiologist took the epidural out and administered another one...which only worked very little for about 20 minutes. being induced caused an extremely painful 16 hour labor which ended up in c-section because i failed to progress...my baby never dropped passed -2 station and I only went to 4cm. I'm 36 weeks pregnant now and this baby is already really low and I'm trying for an all natural VBAC. I think the epidural isn't worth the risks. Now I know augmented pain and I'm sure the natural pain hurts a lot but not as bad with the cervical gel and pitocin. Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 9:28 PM on May. 3, 2009

• yes they did with me since I had absolutely no feeling down there and probably would have peed and crapped all over the sheets not even knowing lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:29 PM on May. 3, 2009

• They insert a urinary catheter in AFTER the epidural. If your epidural is controlling the pain correctly, you won't feel a thing. I didn't with either of my DD's (my first DD was an epi, my second DD was spinal).

Even when they take it out, after birth and the pain meds have worn off, it still doesn't hurt....I didn't really feel anything. It just felt like something slipping out and it was over with. No pain.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:31 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Yes, they put a catheter in you. I've had one before another time I was sick and it was PAINFUL!!!!!! But, luckily with the epidural you won't feel a thing and won't even know its there! In fact, I peed myself & the bed before they put it in. Ha ha. So, yeah you're going to want it. But, I did get a bad UTI b/c of it & couldn't take anything b/c I was breastfeeding and cranberry juice in my breast milk made my baby sick. So, I had to let nature take its course and I had it for like 7 or 8 weeks and it was PAINFUL!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:36 PM on May. 3, 2009

• when i had an epideral, they didnt put one in me until after i had the baby. normally they dont worry about it, becuase ur usually not supposed to eat or drink anything while ur in labor anyway. but they gave me one after and the epidural didnt wear off yet so i didnt feel the nurse put it in. but yes i do hear it is painful.
    danimama308

Answer by danimama308 at 9:42 PM on May. 3, 2009

• If you get an Epidural they will put an catheter in you because you wont be able to feel anything below your waist. Now I would recommend that they put the catheter in AFTER your epi cause that is one weird feeling. With my first son, I didn't even know they put a catheter in me. Everything was new to me. I had to ask my husband what was my nurse emptying out..lol. With my second and third son. I had a catheter placed in early and OMG...weird but once it's placed...you'll do awesome cause you won't even know you're going to the bathroom..lol
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 10:30 PM on May. 3, 2009