I am having problems paying some bills, especially credit cards. Where can I get help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• You could file bankruptcy. Make a fresh start. That's what we did. Don't be embarassed, everyone is going through a hard time right now.
    Anonymous

• We are going to be filling too as I have over 13,000 in medical expenses. crazy...
    Anonymous

• Pay them off, slowly but surely, but don't make others have to pay for your debts. Filing bankrupcy just makes things harder for other people and it's not fair. You made the debt---don't expect an easy bail out. Pay it off as you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Check out the Dave Ramsey Fans group here on CM. We have a great group of ladies with plenty of advice on how to get your finances under control and pay off debt on even a very low income. You could also check out Dave Ramsey's book "The Total Money Makeover" from your local library. Dave is down to earth and has a series of steps that you follow to set up a baby emergency fund, pay off debt, and make smart financial decisions without using credit cards.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:54 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Thanks, michiganmom! I was going to suggest the same thing!!! Also check out Daveramsey.com. He's really great! There are budget forms that you can download to help you see where your money is going every month. You could also check out crown.org and they also have budgetting help! I agree not to file bankruptcy! It looks really bad. Also, I hear that those "credit counseling" programs are no better! I really recommend the Total Money Makeover book!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 8:36 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I will third the dave ramsey group. (with that though...just know, they are going to tell you to cut up those credit cards so you don't rack up more debt....I happen to agree with them...but know that if you aren't going to do that...then no help, is actually going to help)
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 9:25 AM on May. 4, 2009

• go to familycredit.org or 800-994-3328. This is a real, non-profit organization that gives ideas, suggestions, budgets, works with creditors. Licensed, bonded, insured, accredited w/ BBB. I also agree with others...you created debt; have the integrity to pay it off.
    greenvase

Answer by greenvase at 9:38 AM on May. 4, 2009

• You could get a debt consolidation loan. Get a loan to pay everything off, and then you only have that one loan to pay back. Then cut up all your credit cards. Better yet, cut them up now, so you'll HAVE to stop using them!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:39 AM on May. 4, 2009

• If you have to file bankruptcy don't feel as if you are harming others. Credit card companies make it just about impossible to pay off debt. If congress is giving bail outs to everyone but the working people. However, companies are still closing doors, laying off people. Take a look at Chryslers for example. It is strange how people don't bat an eye when companies file bankruptcy but when an individual has to file they are damn for it. Don't let any tell you that filing bankruptcies is all your fault. If you are like my husband and I our Company is gone. Finding another job to replace the one we had isn't going well. A lot of people around me right now are filling bankruptcy do to the company they once work is cutting hours, laying off, filling bankruptcy and closing doors. All the boss man are taking their bonus pay and leaving our town. So don't ever let some one make you feel shame because of bankruptcy!
    strawberryfrost

Answer by strawberryfrost at 9:42 AM on May. 4, 2009

• It depends on how trouble you are in....don't panic, be realistic. I have to say that my dh and I filed bankruptcy around 3 years ago....it hurt, was not easy(emotionally) and not something I would easily recommend to someone. If you are bad with money, overspending, not saving, and having problems that will not change after you file bankruptcy. Be honest with yourself, having debt that you would have to tighten up, make changes, and learn to pay things off is not something to file over. Get the Dave Ramesy stuff(I've looked it over too). I do not know your situation and my point is, there is a difference between having trouble paying bills, even credit cards and being so deep in debt that you are drowning. No matter what, you need to change how you spend, live and make a plan, bankrupcy or not. (it wasn't the worst thing that ever happened to us, we have since bought a car and are buying a house, which we can afford)
    bolz08

Answer by bolz08 at 9:48 AM on May. 4, 2009