sleeping on her tummy!!!! = /

My daughter is 4 1/2 months and tonight she fell asleep on her tummy!!! Shes been rolling ove r now in her crib and as soon as I lay her down she turns right over! WE had one of those foam things that have the sides and keeps her snug in a certain position but she completly rolls out of it! Soo tonight I got rid of that & now shes sleeping on her tummy! Im super nervous because when i go and check on her "every 10 minutes" her little face is like kinda towards the mattress and it looks like she cant breath but i guess she can cause i feel her back and shes ok........ I just need some support and some suggestions and I guess just reassured that she will be OK!!!!!

v_serenil

Asked by v_serenil at 10:18 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's scary at first, but my daughter did the same thing. Since she has control of rolling over now, she should be okay and be able to move her head to be able to breathe.
    Anonymous

• My baby's 7 weeks and sometimes we let her sleep on her tummy. Usually it's her back but sometimes that's all that works to calm her down and she's fine. Baby's are able to move their heads back and forth, and especially at 4 and a half months. She wouldn't let herself smother. It would come as instinct if she weren't able to breathe to turn her head.
    Take a deep breath! She'll be ok.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 10:21 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Ok thanx! I just needed to read that so I would feel better and be able to sleep tonight!!!!
    v_serenil

Answer by v_serenil at 10:21 PM on May. 3, 2009

• She'll be fine. My daughter is four months old and has been sleeping on her tummy since she was about six or seven weeks old. Just remember that most of us slept on our tummies as babies because that's what the doctors told our parents to do. They wouldn't have dared put us on our backs to sleep back then. Do whatever you need to, if she's rolling over she'll be fine =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:23 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My daughter is 7 months old and she has been sleeping on her belly since she was about 3 months old. She is advanced so there is nothing to do to stop it, they are gonna roll however is most comfertable just like adults do. she should be fine
    Mommyof1grl

Answer by Mommyof1grl at 10:24 PM on May. 3, 2009

• i always let my son sleep whatever way he wanted. i put him on his belly from like 2mo cuz he liked it better. but as long as ur kid can roll over by themselves, then i really wouldnt be worried when they sleep that way because its instinct to try to continue breathing
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 10:35 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Once a baby can roll over, then they are usually sleeping in a way that may be safest for them. She knows more instinctively than you think she does. It might actually be better for her. I would sitll put her to sleep on her back/side but then it is up to her. :)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:51 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My son rolled on his side the first night in the hospital. He wouldn't sleep on his back at all. So one of the first things we purchased was one of those foam sleeper helper thing. It was the only way he would sleep, but of course i didn't get much sleep checking on him so often in the night. :) He turns 2 in june so we must be doing something right!
    PhotographyM0m

Answer by PhotographyM0m at 11:02 PM on May. 3, 2009

• We were all put on our bellies to sleep and we're just fine!! :)
    If they're able to roll over then they'll be fine. Thats what my ped. said.
    aolsenmom

Answer by aolsenmom at 11:40 PM on May. 3, 2009

• aolsenmom, we are fine. We didn't die. Others did. My parents said they knew 3 families that suffered from sids. I don't know any. Back to sleep is important.

OP - if your baby is rolling to her tummy, let her. When they can flip themselves, it's fine.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:54 PM on May. 3, 2009