Have you ever considered a Homebirth?

I have been reading a lot of information about it and the main thing I have found is that few doctors support the idea. I watched 'The Business of Being Born' and found a lot of information true when crossreferenced. I would like a homebirth but I haven't found support for it from anywhere.

IhrkeGirl

Asked by IhrkeGirl at 10:28 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ash is spreading false information, and that's very very sad. Midwives are trained in all areas of pregnancy, they just can not perform cesareans. They also don't see all women. If you are high risk/become high risk they will ask you to see an OB.

I am having a homebirth sometime this month. For low-risk pregnancies they are just as safe as hospitals, with far less risk of intervention! I would never deliver in a hospital unless there was an emergency. Hospitals are for the sick/dying. Not a place to deliver a healthy baby.

There are tons of resources available and start interviewing midwives in your state. Ask lots of questions etc :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:46 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I personally would not consider a homebirth. Most doctors advise against it because there is not someone readily available with proper medical help if something was to go wrong. However if you are interested in it I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just make sure you consider all the risks and pros and cons before making your decision.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:31 PM on May. 3, 2009

• i second ash9724
    Anonymous

• Yes, I will have a HBAC. Why? Because I did a lot of research and know that without a doubt HB is safest. Of course doctors don't support HB. It's money that is not going into their pockets. If you would like real information feel free to message me and I can point in you in the right direction.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:11 PM on May. 3, 2009

• my second was a homebirth. I had maybe a handfull of people supporting. My doctor agreed to be my back up but didn't recommend it for me (my first birth was hospital, many problems but because of how my OB handled my birth, and hospital procedure etc). I had to fight for my homebirth (esp. with my hubby) because I knew that was the best thing for my baby and I. I got my homebirth and it was soooo worth fighting for. check out some of the groups here like birth is normal and natural birth and pregnancy.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:42 PM on May. 3, 2009

• btw I saw the movie tooo... It was great huh? put things in perpective.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:43 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I personally wouldn't, but a friend of mine had a healthy boy last month in a homebirth. She was attended by 2 midwives and her husband, and they brought in a big blue inflatable tub for her to be in. One of the midwives even took pictures for them, and put his footprints on the "born at home" certificate. I'd prefer to be in a hospital myself because I want painkillers to be readily accessable (I'm a wuss and it's my first) but my friend delivered her 8-pounder without a problem, and she has had heart issues in the past.

Male doctors are not likely to support the idea, because of course, doctors always give the worst case scenario. You should be able to find a midwife in your area who can help with this tho.... but they will bring you to the hospital if they deem it necessary. Best of luck!
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 12:13 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Never. I value my childs life and my life a little more then taking the chance something would go wrong and not have the ability to fix it.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:10 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Don't listen to the fear mongers, having a home birth does NOT mean you don't value your child's life. This is a misconception spread by fear. 1/3 of the births in the Netherlands are done at home and their infant/maternal mortality rates are lower than ours.

You need to research and decide what's right for YOU. Don't let anyone scare you into a hospital birth, otherwise you will regret it. Hugs and good luck mama!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:55 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Chrissy seriously? Have you even looked at any research? Or did you open your fat mouth without any knowledge?
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:11 AM on May. 4, 2009