How long does it take for a period to be regular after you have a baby?

My daughter is 6 months old and I am full time breastfeeding, my period is almost 2 weeks late. I really don't think I am pregnant, I would be the most fertile woman in the world! but it is very strange.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can get pregnant while breastfeeding. If you're late and been regular up until this point then I would take a pregnancy test.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:32 PM on May. 3, 2009

• well, i started BC at 7 1/2 mo (full-time breastfeeding) and THEN i got my period regularly. i was told I prob wouldnt start getting back until i stopped bf-ing
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 10:33 PM on May. 3, 2009

• if your daughter is not nursing through the night then your period is more likely to return. Also, there is no guarantee that you will not have a period until after you have weaned. I have breastfed 4 kids (no bottles, pumping or formula) and my periods still returned at 17 months. You have had a period regularly so I still say that since you are late that you should test.  You may NOT be pregnant but if you're having sex then its always possible.

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:38 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My son is 10 months old and my period has not returned. I am also breastfeeding and have an IUD.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 10:58 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I bfed until 10 months. Period returned 5 months after that. Now on pills to stay regular.
    Anonymous

• For most women their period doesn't return until at least 6 months while nursing. Mine it was about 15-17 months with both kids. That being said the way you worded this makes it sound like you have already gotten AF back so I would be testing immediately. If you have had sex then you can be pregnant. If you haven't had sex then I would just chalk it up to the crazy cycles from nursing. Even when my returned they were anywhere from 4-8 weeks for the first 6 months after they started back up.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:50 AM on May. 4, 2009