Do you have MOODY teenagers?

I have a 17 y/o son and OMG is he miserable 90% of the time!
He acts as though my husband and I are annoying him if we tell
him something or even just ask him a question. He's always been
kind of rude but WOW! He's really rude now.
How do you deal with a moody teen??

tonialynn33

Asked by tonialynn33 at 10:32 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My 17 year old son gets moody but he is ADHD/ OCD and is on medication so it isn't uncommon for him. He is sensitive to other's moods, if he has a bad day at school (which is not often thank goodness), he is very moody at home. I tell him to stay in his room if he is grouchy because I don't want to argue with him. He is very arguementative and rude too when he is moody. I also recommend that he goes out and takes a walk, it usually helps.
    My daughter is 14 and rarely moody, unless she doesn't get enough sleep. We haven't had any real problems and hopefully wont. Good luck with your son, hope you can talk about it and find out what is bothering him.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:47 PM on May. 3, 2009

• it will pass, i was a moody teenager, my parents were always good to me, but i was just a pain. i told them i wanted to be emancipated and told them i hated living with them...etc, haha now i have no idea why i was so mean to them, they are great parents. he'll grow up and settle down
    abbyl2490

Answer by abbyl2490 at 12:09 AM on May. 4, 2009

• huggingMy 14 year old son is very stoic. He's not rude to me but doesn't comply with household rules or chores unless I stand on his back. I recently set a counseling appointment for him this week and hope they'll have better luck with getting him to verbalize his feelings. And get this, he was honored as one of the School District's winning poets!!!! Someone told me that my son is brilliant, bored and depressed and that one day he'll grow up to be a genius for this is how they start???? Good luck with yours.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 1:37 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Isn't moody teenager redundant?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Yeah, is there such a thing as a teen that is not moody?
    Moody due to hormones is one thing, but don't let him be rude to you! Tell him you understand, but that you will not tolerate rudeness.
    Anonymous

• How they feel for us now is not how they will feel for us later. Stay involed and teach him character and responsiblity. Stay focused in the man you want him to be. Train him up mom. Last time my son upset me (grades) I went to his school and sat in his class room. :) He was so serious then.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 4:03 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Talking disrespectfully in my opinion is not moody, its disrespectful and lack of respect for the home, parents, and family. Sounds to me like you need to have a serious talk and step up as the parent and authority in your home regards to your son. That is not normal behavior for parents to just accept that a teen is or may be moody and talk disrespectfully.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 5:04 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Its so normal its not even funny. My parents will say hi and I will get so annoyed. I am a teenager and everything annoys me. I am angry 90% of the time because I hate my school with a burning passion, not because its school, but because the faculty is dumb as shit, the administration has a hard time reading, and today a boy was talking to a girl or something and he got sent to the hospital because he got his dead stomped in by another boy. Im not learning anything and its wasting my time. My friends are annoying with their stupid boy problems, and Im sick of it. Your son might have the same disease as me. Life sucks, then you get over it.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 7:55 PM on May. 4, 2009