Is it bad for my 17month old son to suck and chew on ice

My son loves to eat ice! He would rather have it more than candy! someone told me it was bad for his body! Ive never heard that! I was wondering if anyone new any thign about it!

luvmylilman2007

Asked by luvmylilman2007 at 10:37 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Health

• Hey ice is better for his teeth than candy. Just make sure the ice is not in big pieces.
    Alicia10-2-08

Answer by Alicia10-2-08 at 10:49 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I've never heard of that either. The only concern I would have is him swallowing it and choking. I mean, it is water. How bad could it be for him? Maybe I am wrong though.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 10:38 PM on May. 3, 2009

• you may want to get him checked for an iron deficiency. that is usually the symptom. but also if he has seen other people do that, it may just be him being a copy cat.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:50 PM on May. 3, 2009

• wow ice worse then candy!!!!!! i would say ice would be a pretty heathy choice and if you get scared of him choking on it, crush it up!!
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 10:50 PM on May. 3, 2009

• my 2 yr old loves ice
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:54 PM on May. 3, 2009

• also ice is bad for there teeth. it can cause not only damage to the teeth such as cracks and cavities(which come from the cracks) but it also cause trauma to the gums. My niece had to go to the dentist at 2 years old because she broke a tooth on a small piece of ice. she ended up having to have a very painful root canal. i would suggest giving him a crunchy piece of fruit or a gerber cracker or cookie in place of a piece of ice. (he may just want the ice because he likes the crunch
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:03 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I know that when I craved ice during pregnancy it was an iron deficiency but ive had my 20 month old checked for that and hes fine, they say he just eats it because i was eating it all the time lol. I dont think its that bad in moderation. It can ware the enamel off the teeth but thats with constant eating of it
    ladybug.ky88

Answer by ladybug.ky88 at 11:15 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Tooth damage is what I would be worried about and that is where it is worse then candy. Personally I let my kids have it because they suck on and don't bite it and it means they are getting water which is needed by their little bodies. If he is sucking and not chewing the ice then it should be fine. Defintely check the iron deficiency thing out too though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:56 AM on May. 4, 2009