Should siblings be in the same preschool classroom?

I have a 3 year old boy and a 4 year old girl (13 1/2 months apart) and I am debating if I should place them in tha same classroom for a year. Looking for other moms who have gone through this and would like there fedback...pros and cons.

ddgon

Asked by ddgon at 10:59 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I dont have that situation yet but my kids are 19 monthes apart so im sure i will but i would say pros are that they know somebody that they can depend on, they will be learning the same stuff at the same time (easier for you and them), only one teacher to worry about. Cons would be that they might fight because they are comfortable with each other lol....
    ladybug.ky88

Answer by ladybug.ky88 at 11:06 PM on May. 3, 2009

• there are only two pros that i can name..
    1) they would be together and wouldn't feel as abandoned.
    2) it would teach them how to get along better.
    the cons:
    1) they are apart from each other so they can associate themselves with other children
    2) they would not depend on each other as they would if they were in the same class
    3) they get a break from being around each other every single day

doesn't the preschool have the 3 and 4 year olds in separate rooms anyway??
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:08 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I have a twin sister and my parents/school officials were always trying to put us in separate classrooms. We were mostly just annoyed by this because then our homework would be different. I think it is easier if the kids have the same teacher and can tell you about various parts of their days together. There is a school of thought that believes children who are always together will be the same or something silly like that, my sister and I could not be more different. Your kids will be so close for their whole lives, there is no reason to try to change that.
    xmum

Answer by xmum at 11:27 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Typically three year olds and four year olds are learning different things, I would think they would be in different classes simply because of their age. I am saying this as a daughter of a preschool director.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:25 AM on May. 4, 2009

• My two youngest should be in the same grade based on birthdays and the district cut off date. I am working to do everything I can to get them in separate classes from pre-k and beyond. It's bad enough my 3 year old will have to be in the same grade as his younger brother...everyone thinking he failed a grade or something.

The CPSE director is actually going to bat for us with the district superintendent to get permission for my 3 year old to start a year early. (provided he's socially ready!) His birthday is only 18 days after the cut of...my 2 year old is 2 weeks before the cut off.

"1) they are apart from each other so they can associate themselves with other children
    3) they get a break from being around each other every single day"
    These are pros to me...not cons!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:21 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I'm a preschool teacher and I would recommend separate classes for them. Your 4 year old is preparing for kindergarten and your 3 year old is a different learning level and is needing a introduction to the learning environment and learning to be social is much needed.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 7:08 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Separate so they can grow with their own independence. Also, the classes learn different things as others have said. They will probably enjoy being separate and when school is over get along even better. It is good to let them have individual experiences sometimes.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:02 AM on May. 4, 2009

• TiccledBlue- I think those were the cons to putting them in the same class, ie pros for them being in different classes.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:16 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My SIL had my neice skipped to the next grade in like 1st. Her and my nephew have been in the same class ever since (they are 13 months apart). I hate it for him because he doesn't do as well at school, but they have them in the advanced classes together and they are always getting compared! I think it would be easier if she would have left my neice back. Granted, you are talking about now that they are little, but you also have to think about long term. (I may have missed the mark to your question, but I hope you understand what I mean)
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 1:05 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Haven't done this yet, but thinking about it for next year. My 2 boys (22 mos apart) are best friends. My younger one is almost 2 and seems preschool ready already - he is one of those precocious younger siblings, very social and well behaved! We end up staying and playing every day after I drop my older son off. My son's teacher said she'd consider starting my youngest off at 2 1/2. I'd love to do that - 4 hours to myself, 3 days a week! Heaven! :) And there are 2 classrooms kids can go to during free play, so they could get away from each other if they need to.
    jmcgladr

Answer by jmcgladr at 1:44 PM on May. 4, 2009