At what age do babies start to say mama, byebye, etc??

My 1st son was behind in talking, but #2 is just over 10 months, and I swear hes starting to talk, but Im not sure. I know each child is different, but Im curious when it usually starts!

RhiannonHunt

Asked by RhiannonHunt at 11:06 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 1 year old started to say 'dada' just before he turned either six or eight months (can't remember). Now he says 'mama', he says, "I see!" (he can't put 'you' at the end yet-lol) He says, "Stop!" He pretty much tries to repeat anything anyone says or does. He can wave 'hi' but he doesn't say 'bye-bye' yet. So I'll say somewhere in between 6 and 14 months but like you already know, every child is different.
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 11:16 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My son started muttering words at about 8 months, Daddy being the first word. They all start at different ages. My niece was putting together 3 and 4 word sentences at the age of 2 1/2. She is now 4 and has a very large vocabulary.
    PhotographyM0m

Answer by PhotographyM0m at 11:10 PM on May. 3, 2009

• well it was my experience as well that my first talked slower and not as well(he does better now) but when my daughter turned 9 months she started copying her brother everytime he said mama or daddy or bye bye. my son is 3 now and has a very wide range of vocabulary and so does my daughter. she is 18 months now and says bye bye, mama, daddy, hello, dog, cat, bird, frog, she can count to three, she can say ABC, granny, papa, buckshot(he is our dog) diaper, wipe, peepee, potty, jake, bubba, blanket, etc anyway my point is, (sorry for all the rambling) the second child picks up everything from her older sibling. and they do tend to talk much faster than the first.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:12 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My son is 9 months and can say "dada" "mama" "baba" and "hi" but I'm not entirely sure he's putting meaning into those words. I think they're just sounds for now. But he will say "dada" and "hi" back to you if you say it to him, so he's definitely copying sounds.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:30 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My daughter, who is now five, started speaking at 7 months. At 12 months, she was saying full sentences. By 1 and a half she was having full fledged adult conversations. I have a son that is 11 months old and he is just now starting to say single words. It really does vary from child to child. Don't start worrying until they reach the 2 year mark. Then if they haven't tried to say anything that's when you need to mention it to the pediatrician. So you're probably right about about your child uttering words.
    Runtstarr

Answer by Runtstarr at 3:02 AM on May. 4, 2009