How do I take the plastic OUT OF plastic?

LOL, I know..right?! Okay so the story here is I bought my kiddos and I plastic drinking bottles from Wally World for the summer. I thought it was a great idea: cheap yet semi durable, different colors thus quickly identifiable, reusable to suit my youngest 'earth friendly side' and cool looking to fit my macho cool guy! (I got mine 'cuz I am mom and thus practicality and my cheap side won out)

I really adore these bottles (and from Walmart yuck!) BUT!!! We have had them way longer than a month, have only drank water from them, and we refill them at least three times a day! They get washed with soap and hot water at the end of the day.
---And they still taste/smell like plastic.
What do I do to get rid of that smell and taste it is driving me mad!

malindasb

Asked by malindasb at 11:44 PM on May. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Try vinegar + 2/3 water.

Or try Baking soda dissolved in water, baking soda absorbs smells naturally anyway.

Hydrogen Peroxide is another idea.

You can try bleach but I'd use it as a last resort.. and I'd look for special bleach suitable for baby bottles.

When trying any of these ideas, I'd let it sit for a while.. swish the solution around so it gets everywhere (inside the bottle lol.. not all over you). And then clean it out after a while.The plastic smell should leave on it's own but perhaps this will help you speed it up.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 4:51 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Fill it halfway with warm water and dump some salt in it, shake it around, and rinse it out. Works every time.

Make sure they're not made in china and are BHwhatever free.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 6:34 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Get sigg or other stainless steel bottles; plastic can hold bacteria and is generally not considered safe for repeated use.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:22 AM on May. 4, 2009

• If they are still smelling like plastic, then they are out-gassing volatile compounds and are BAD for you and your children. Make the investment and buy some type of aluminum or stainless steels bottle - they are light, sturdy, reuseable, don't hold odors or bacteria, easy to clean and recyclable when you are done with them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:40 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Thankyou ladies! They claim they were made in Massachutes but who really knows, right? I will start at the top of your suggestions and work my way down!

Thanx again!
    malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 10:11 PM on May. 4, 2009