my 3 year old son has never slept through the night

How do you get a 3 year old crazy lil boy to sleep I mean he is up 4 or 5 times a night with no naps durring the day and I cant get him to sleep in his room and he has NEVER slept with me and my husband...we dont alow it but my husband left for iraq in aug and we have a 1 year old daughter that doesn't sleep through the night eather and if I dont get a lil sleep soon I think I am going to loose it!please help I will try anything

soldierswife11

Asked by soldierswife11 at 11:50 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honey, I feel for ya. I had one the same way. You are going to have to make him take a nap during the day. After you put the baby to bed, lay down with him. I used to have to stand over my daughter with a paddle, saying shut your eyes, shut your eyes. Of course, I never used it, it was just to threaten her. Finally, I found out if I laid down with her and told her we were both taking naps, she would give in. Then I would quietly sneak out of the room. Sometimes, I napped with her. You are going to have to figure out how to do this. You need some rest. Is there someone (family or friend) who might watch the kids for you a few times a week or so?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:54 PM on May. 3, 2009

• A nice warm bath of camomille and a cup of warm chocolate
    Leave the TV on with a soothing movie that has alot of lullubys Let him clme himself and fll asleep himself dont stay there and watch him .If that does work girl take him to the Dr.Every child has a spot that calmes them My daughter only sleeps if i rub her back .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 11:55 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I don't think standing over your child with a paddle telling them to close their eyes is healthy. Jeez, I would hate my bed!

Anonymous

• he may be over tired since he doesn't get a nap. when my daughter is extremely tired at night, she won't sleep through the night. try to get him to take a nap early in the afternoon and see if that helps. or if he refuses to nap in the afternoon have quiet time, the days my daughter needs a nap (she is the same age so its not every day) i have her go to her room, i tuck her in, give her some books and tell her she has to have quiet time and mommy will come get her when its over. then i put the gate on her door, and go do what i have to do or lay down myself if i need it. she usually passes out after about 10 mins of quiet time.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:37 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I've been going through the same thing. I have 2 kiddos under the age of two.

I started giving them this yogurt shake right before bed and since I've done that they have both been sleeping through the night. Its two spoon fulls of reg yogurt and the rest milk. Shake it real good.

I also got them on a routine. They have a filling dinner, a bath with lavender wash, a filling bedtime snack (like oatmeal) and then give them the shake right before they fall asleep. It works for both my kids, one in a bottle, the other a sippy. I think with full bellies they just pass out. hehe

Also, my kids both started sleeping in their own beds and rooms too. How we did it was starting out by naps in their beds. Then we brought their beds into our room. They slept in there for about a month. Then we brought their beds into their own rooms and they were used to it.

Good luck!!!
    ForestGrove_Mom

Answer by ForestGrove_Mom at 12:52 AM on May. 4, 2009

• does he snore when he is sleeping? maybe have his tonsils/adnoids checked to make sure they are not enlarged. My 4 year old does that and she has enlarged tonsils
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 12:55 AM on May. 4, 2009

• HUGS!!! I hav ethe same problem BIth my 5 year old and 3 1/2 year old are SUCH bad sleepers!!!! So when you find out let me know LOL .. at least you are smarter than me I let them climb in the bed with us .. I can't turn them away..
    Stacie-Kim

Answer by Stacie-Kim at 1:55 AM on May. 4, 2009

• where does he sleep not with youand you say not in his room. you have got o get him into his room. put him in there and leave everytime he gets up put him back with just a go to bed nothing else. they say this works after a bit
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:48 AM on May. 4, 2009