what kind of spider has a big butt?

I was doing laundry a moment ago and an orangish, big-butted spider was on top of a shirt. I think it's a type of garden spider, but can't find anything on the web about it. Medium sized, with the crab-looking legs that fold up and in at the "elbow"

And I didn't smash it because I've had mamma spiders "explode" upon squishing, into hundreds of baby spiders they were carrying. Screamed and tossed the shirt into the washer...please tell me the hot water setting will kill it n it won't simply crawl inside the washer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Oh my,lol I would say she's pregnant. It sounds like an ordinary house spider but it's a good thing you didn't smash her. I would go to the store and get some spray, do all your corners and dark places, under beds etc. Spiders scare the crap outta me!! lol
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:19 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Oh I just got a case of the heebee geebees.
    Yea I bet the washing will take care of it. Knock down webs and air out those dark musty areas.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:54 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I think these are called crab spiders, maybe try searching for that on the web.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:50 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Sounds like a garden spider but I could be wrong. My daughter was studying spiders earlier in the year and had to catch one at take it to school. I don't mind spiders as long as they don't suprise me.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 5:21 PM on May. 7, 2009