I have a 5 year old that has severe medical problems. Please help!

My 5 year old was born full term. He has cerebral palsy, has seizures and is very smal for his age. He can not walk, talk, or even sit up. i love my child so much, but I need to talk to someone that knows how i feel and I just need hope that my child can one day talk to me, hug me, and play with me. He is in a wheelchair and can not do anything for himself what soever. :(

JALECMOMMY

Asked by JALECMOMMY at 12:01 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Aw, I'm sorry momma! Think about joining a group for parents of kids with CP. My daughter has significantly less severe issues (low muscle tone, sensory input issues, developmental delay) but the groups that we have found are a great support system. You might also want to look for a regular support group in your area. I know, for me, it's great to meet other moms with children who have similar problems. It helps to vent to people who actually understand. Good luck.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:16 AM on May. 4, 2009

• hugs I'm sorry you're having a rough time.  I agree with toriandgrace, if you can find a support group with other parents who are going through similar situations you can get ideas for how to help your child blossom to their full potential and you can just vent with others who know what you're going through. 

Don't give up!  Your little guy (who is very handsome, btw!  I love his smile!) will grow and develop at his own rate and in his own time.  Keep taking him to his therapies and showering him with love and affection and he'll do the same back.  I'll bet he smiles at you with those beautiful smiles and you just melt!  He knows you love him and he'll let you know the same in his way, too.

Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 11:13 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I am sure it is frustrating for you and it takes a lot to care for your son. I think that after seeing your son's smile that says it all. I know you would love for things to be different and as they are not you have had to adapt to that. Juan is still the same as any child he knows you love him and he wants to please his Mum. I bet you have a way of communication special to you and him. I do agree support groups are a wonderful way to help with what you are dealing with. You are doing a great job Mum. I bet your son thinks so too. Bless you both and I wish you the very best.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 10:52 PM on May. 7, 2009

• There are a couple special needs groups on here. They aren't terribly active, but tend to give support when needed! My son has West Syndrome, but he is able to walk and even talk a little now at age 7... So i don't know all of what you are going through, but I do understand some of it. My son has 50-150+ seizures a day, (very small seizures), and is developmentally around the age of a 2 years old now... I hope you find some friends and support on here! *HUGS*
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 7:38 PM on May. 15, 2009