• In the Spotlight:

My baby's father smokes pot. He and I don't see eye to eye, I won't have it around my child and he sees nothing wrong with it. I don't know what to do here. help?

I don't want to get him in trouble with the law but I don't know what to do.

Sarahbella752

Asked by Sarahbella752 at 12:18 AM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ummmmm law or your child.. take your choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't let him come around my child, until he quit. I think that is disgusting. I wouldn't even let someone smoke cigs around my kids. Do u want ur child to grow up thinking it's ok to smoke pot?
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 12:21 AM on May. 4, 2009

• or tell him he cant be under the influence around your children at all. what he does in his time is his thing, but once it comes around your kids youll get the law involved.
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 12:22 AM on May. 4, 2009

• ok i was in the same situation as ur in. i told my babys daddy that if he kept smoking in the house around our son then he had to find somewhere else to live. unfornately he never stopped so i had to kick him out. its real hard to change men but u have to do whats best for ur kids
    SpringMommy07

Answer by SpringMommy07 at 12:25 AM on May. 4, 2009

• There's not really anything you can do about it besides maybe take the kids elsewhere when he lights up. It's his house too. This is considering that you don't want to "get him in trouble". Maybe just ask him to meet you in the middle and not smoke when the kids are awake etc If smoking some is your worst worry, you'll be just fine, just ask him for mutual respect and coming to an understanding.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:33 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I am kind of in the same situation right now with my fiance. He has smoked pot basically since I've known him and I really don't have a problem with it, but now that I am pregnant and we are going to be living together, I told him that he should quit because the money he is spending on pot can be better spent to pay our bills or buy something for our son instead. I told him if he chooses to continue smoking it will not be at our house or around our baby. I feel that no matter how young a child is they are aware of their surroundings. I told him he needs to go to his friends houses to do that because if someone was to find out that he was smoking pot at our home, all it would take is 1 call to social services and we would be under investigation. He doesn't seem to take me seriously about it but I am dead serious. If it causes problems I will leave with my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Do you live together? Definitely no smoking in the same vicinity as the baby. I don't think pot is that bad but there are limits to it just like alcohol. No driving while high and definitely no getting totally blazed because it can effect your ability to care for your child. Is he getting high all day every day or is it just a few times a week? You will have to give more details. If he does it every day there is a problem, he is addicted. If it's a few times a week have him go outside. Definitely no smoking inside. I'm curious if he does it a lot or if you are just against weed in particular?
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 1:01 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Maybe he would compromise alittle, just ask him not to smoke it around your child, or in your child's home.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:20 AM on May. 4, 2009

• How did it come to be that you became pregnant with his child if you can't see eye-to-eye on such a huge issue? I'd definitely get him busted because you're going to have a child growing up around a pothead and thinking that it's acceptable if you don't take a stand....
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 1:33 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Getting him in trouble with the law is to much. Do you love him? If the answere is yes, then you've got to love him for who he is. Trying to change him will just make you crazy, he has to grow out of it on his own, you can't fight his battles for him. I've gone through this with my hubby and the best thing I ever did was just accept him and love the crap out of him for who he was right then and there, not for who I hoped he could be someday. We compromised, he could not smoke around the kids, and he never got super high anymore just stuck to a buzz, usually waited until they slept, no more party mentality like hanging out with a bunch of buds and getting stoned. Well, after a year of what I call "smoking like an adult" it just wasn't appealing anymore and he quit on his own, it's been 5 years. If you love him then love him through it, set some guidlines and then wait to see if it gets better, but don't turn him in thats petty.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 1:44 AM on May. 4, 2009