They're getting rid of military reinlistment bonuses!

WTH? we already get paid squat, alot of people actually need that to be able to pay stuff off!

anway, what do you think of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I wouldn't be surprised if less people enlisted. My husband enlisted last year and the bonus was a huge influence on his decision. Those bonuses are very persuasive.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 12:54 AM on May. 4, 2009

• it's crap. the whole point is to give the incentive to enlist again, which they still need people to do b/c they still need people with experience even with others enlisting like crazy b/c of the economy. those people aren't going to stay in for the long haul like some of our guys and gals are doing. for those of you who think the military gets paid alot, do a google search for a pay chart and take a look. its by your rank and how long you've been in, so its just like a regular job the higher up you are the more you get paid etc...and its really not alot at all. my husband is 31 and he makes about $30k a year on just his basic salary, people graduating from college and going into their job fields make more than that. so ya its crap and the pay sucks. a bunch of b.s. but they've been phasing out reenlistment bonuses for a few years now...
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:55 AM on May. 4, 2009

• yup ya know thats true. me and my hubby and my dd live in a one bedroom apartment, and barely living and hes a E-4. that is stupid!! they need to keep those bonuses!!
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 12:58 AM on May. 4, 2009

• well from what i heard they're supposed to stop them alltogether starting on June 1st
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on May. 4, 2009

• They use them when they need more enlistment ....when they don't, they go away
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:03 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Its going to backfire. Re-enlistment bonuses keep experienced members in. I will say though that the pay is not as poor as people make it out to be. My family did just fine on military pay and that was many pay raises ago. You just have to balance your budget.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 1:16 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Our last few re-enlistments have been influenced by the bonuses. Now he is getting med-boarded, so this won't affect us directly, but its still wrong nonetheless.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 2:33 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Obama/Biden want us all to "volunteer" for their corp programs; why pay people when they can encourage/engage us to volunteer/serve= work for free?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:21 AM on May. 4, 2009

• We have gotten bonuses before, and yes, it's crap. But, on the other hand, sadly right now with the economy being what it is, the military doesn't need to offer as much incentive to get people to stay in, or to enlist. In other words, as far as enlisting, it's become a "sellers market", not the "buyers market" that we had for so long, where the military really needed to be competitive with what was available in the civilian sector to get people to stay in.

I'm NOT saying I'm happy with it, or like it, or anything like that. I'm just saying this is part of the reasoning for why they are basically doing away with them. (technically, they still have them, they're just setting them up so that it's impossible for literally 99% of us to get them)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:37 AM on May. 4, 2009

• As far as this backfiring, again, sadly, I don't think it will all that much. Because most people who have been in awhile and are Sr aren't usually eligible for the bonuses anyway. I know we haven't been SRB eligible for a few yrs now, because basically, they figure that your that close to retirement, either getting to that point is bonus enough, or you get out, and then it saves them having to pay you the retirement.

Also, I know a lot of people who were saying how they were going to get out, but what with the economy the way it is, they're going to reenlist, bonus or not.

Again, I'm not saying I like it, but it's the reality of it :-(

(btw - LA09 - have you looked at base housing? If you can get in, it really isn't always as bad as people think, and as long as you mind your business, people tend to mind theirs. It can be a really good thing for Jr enlisted, and you would have at least a 2 bedroom... gl )
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:43 AM on May. 4, 2009