Why doesn't anyone come to our house for dinner?

My parents, my hubby's friends, and my hubby's older brother and SIL all invite us over for dinner but they never want to come over to our house for dinner. I told my husband tonight it's their turn to come to our house for dinner. Until then, I won't be going to their house for dinner. Is this reasonable? - like taking turns going to houses. Also, his brother and SIL didn't personally invite us over for dinner - they had my husbands mother call and ask us. Is this odd?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• ummm is your house small or a mess? no offense but thats the only reason i would have if it were family to not go. or maybe they don't like your cooking? as for your SIL and brother not inviting you, having their mom call to invite you, that does seem kind of odd to me, i'd feel weird saying yes to that invitation and would tell my MIL that my SIL can call and invite me herself b/c i'd feel like i wasn't really invited in the first place
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:29 AM on May. 4, 2009

• are you a good cook?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on May. 4, 2009

• do you keep a clean house? do you take pride in the way you look? do your children behave with their children? do you know how to cook? do you have pets? maybe the smell grosses people out... can you think of any reason they would not like you? are you a capricorn (just curious)?
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 1:31 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I am happy my outlaws don't come to my home! Why not try a pot luck the first time you have everyone over?
    Homeschoolmom99

Answer by Homeschoolmom99 at 1:32 AM on May. 4, 2009

• First thought that came to my mind is...is her house clean?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I'm with the other posters on this, chances are your house is to small or it appears unclean to your guests so they avoid it. If that isn't the case it might be that when they host they do things similar to one another while you do stuff differently (i.e how you entertain etc) I would express to your in-law family that their actions hurt you and that it's not fair. Personally I'd be relieved, going to someone elses house means not having to cook or clean up a large mess.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:12 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I wish I had this problem....my problem is the opposite....my mil always hints that she wants to come to our house but has never invited us to hers....its so utterly bizzarre to me

But if it's at someone elses house you can leave when you want and not worry about pre dinner house cleaning or cooking a perfect meal pressure and you can bring flowers and be a happy guest without the work (unless they cook foods you hate or don't eat...lol) or you have kids and their home aint kid friendly
    imagine-that

Answer by imagine-that at 2:46 AM on May. 4, 2009

• and btw whats wrong with capricorns? lol
    imagine-that

Answer by imagine-that at 2:49 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Well....fire up the grill and I'll be right over! I HATE having people over my house to eat! I always get stuck cleaning up afterwards!

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:53 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Ok, I don't mean this to sound mean, because I don't know you, or your living conditions. But, off the top of my head -
    Is your house dirty? (you might not think so, but is it kept as clean, or close to as clean, as theirs - lots of people with dirty houses don't realize it, or think it's that bad...)
    Are you a bad cook?
    Do you have a pet (or several) that jump on them, knock them down, slobber on them, or affect their allergies? (this could tie into the clean house thing - a good friend of mine has several pets, one litter box, and frequently her house stinks. She knows that "sometimes it's a small problem" - she doesn't see how bad it is, plus, I have allergies, so I can't be at her house too long, so I ask her here, because she is a good friend)
    Do you have a really small house, so you can't really host them comfortably?

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:12 AM on May. 4, 2009