new foods?

my son is such a picky eater it seems like he's eating the same meals every other day. he hates vegetables, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, any kind of noodles for that matter.. etc. anyone have any suggestions on something new to eat for a picky eater?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 2:10 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like my little guy! He won't eat any veggies, eats limited fruits and not much of anything else. Doesn't like most meat, won't eat rice, noodles, potatoes, I'm at my wits end trying to even get him to just try things. He won't even try most things... he says he doesn't like it and won't even try it. It really drives me crazy.

Oh... you wanted help, huh? ... confused

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:19 AM on May. 4, 2009

• What are you currently feeding him? My 3 yr old went through a stage a few months ago where he'd only eat chips, fruit snacks or bread (dinner rolls etc). I finally got so frustrated I sat at the table with him for about an hour and told him he couldn't get down till he ate what was on his plate. He finally caved in and tried some chicken. The best thing to do though if he truly is a picky eater is try different variations of the food he does like. If he's eating chicken try making BBQ chicken, Pinapple chicken etc.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:20 AM on May. 4, 2009

• he likes chicken, the breaded kind mostly and pork chops. a few different fruits. bread. waffles. and yogurt
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 2:22 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Have you tried to give him something to dip his food in. Like ketchup or ranch dressing? My son didn't like it at first but after a few tried he loved it. He eats all most everything with ketchup. he loves pasta and cheese. He will eat an apple whole not cut up,he prefer to bit into it. He likes the skin for some reason. He loves applesauce. I still have trouble with my son eating to. He doesn't really get meals per-say he just gets a ton of snacks. Like crackers and cheese,turkey,pepperoni. whatever is in the fringe and he sees and wants he gets i just give him some until he is done with the first part. Oh he loves peanut butter on bread with a little jelly. have you tried that? this is just stuff my son likes when he is in the mood to eat. some days are harder then others when it comes to eating with my son. he's only 19months so i think its the age,well i hope it is...haha. good luck.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 2:26 AM on May. 4, 2009

• this is weird but my son loves frozen food. He likes the frozen veggies still frozen,the fries frozen. I think it feels good on his teething gums but its still really odd. you just have to let him try things a lot of different ways.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 2:31 AM on May. 4, 2009

• First, don't turn into one of those mothers who thinks her child will die if he doesn't get chicken nuggets everyday. Keep offering a variety of healthy foods and eventually he will start eting them. You can try a smoothie: frozen blueberries, frozen banana chunks, yogurt, applejuice or soymilk, kale or other green. Avocado chunks, tofu cubes, cooked beans, whole wheat penne dipped in sauce, hummus mixed with a hard boiled egg, Soup with pureed vegetables. sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries".

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 AM on May. 4, 2009

• well the child dosen't get to pick what he eats. I make a meal and they must eat it or go hungry. at our house you have to take a polite bite of each thing if you don't like it then you don't have to eat it all but you must try it. stop letting him decide what he will eat. put the food down and if he dosen't eat then no snacks until the next meal he will learn to eat.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:00 AM on May. 4, 2009

• My son may be very atypcial, but this is what works best for us.  He loves spaghetti, so if I want him to try a new food, let's say green beans, I prepare it with spaghetti.  He gets excited when he sees the spaghetti and I feed it to him or we have a huge mess and he flips out (another story).  I give him two bites of spaghetti and then a bite of green beans with the promise he'll get another bite of spaghetti right after the green beans.  This has worked wonders and he eats peas, carrots, corn, green beans, and broccoli.  After a few weeks of a new food, he is used to it and will eat it.  He is very picky about food and sometimes only takes four or five bites at a meal, but I never give up on feeding him a healthy, balanced meal.  Good luck.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 7:07 PM on May. 4, 2009