breastfeeding q

Does anyone else get tired of breastfeeding once in a while?

My baby is 4 weeks, it feels like she is always on my boob, plus she takes a long time to feed(45 minutes to 1 1/2 hrs). I know breastfeeding is wonderful in so many ways the nutrition the bonding and closeness etc. but dang sometimes I just want to have my boobies to myself and to get up and tackle my to do list.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when breastfeeding they ARE attached just about 24/7 at least for the first month or two. Once they get about six months you can introduce like a cereal rice or oatmeal but boobie always comes first I KNOW i did it for 15months and plan to with the next child. Its so wonderful though :)....just try to read or something every now and then instead of being all up in the business with the baby when he/she eats. Maybe watch a show you enjoy. Call someone and have a convo. GL feel better :)
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:53 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Every baby is different. It can take a couple months to establish supply, and get a good breastfeeding routine. :) It can get tiring but is so worth it. I nursed for 21 months and there were definitely days where I was *touched* out because of having Becka on the boob a lot that day :)

Congrats on the baby and the breastfeeding though. It does get easier. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:53 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Enjoy your down time! Trust me, your to do list isn't going any where.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 6:29 AM on May. 4, 2009

• My daughter made the same comment about bottle feeding! LOL
    She was breastfeeding, and loved it, but she dried up and everything she tried never brought her milk supply come back, so her baby ended up on formula, which makes us sad, because we know the benefits of breastfeeding for both mom and baby.
    Anyhow, she was giving my granddaughter her bottle one day, but had it propped under her chin while she was chatting on the computer, texting on her cell phone, AND switching tv channels all at the same time!
    I explained to her that feeding a baby is a nurturing process. You need to look your child in her eyes, touch her body, talk to her, kiss her, smile at her, sing to her, etc. Not be preoccupied with other things.
    She complained that it takes so long for her to eat when she wants to do other things. I told her to think of feedings as breaks in her day from the ordinary - a chance to "create" her child.
    Cherish! ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:24 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Very normal and it should start to slow down in the next month or two. Don't rush things since they are little for such a short time. Try getting yourself a sling or wrap and learn to nurse in it. That is how I managed when I had my second child and needed to chase after the 2 year old too. WIth my first I used the time to catch up on some reading and phone conversations that I knew would not be able to happen once he started getting older. You will definitely feel touched out, but you are not getting those boobs back for awhile honey unless you stop nursing which I would NOT recommend. I nursed my first until 18 months and he self weaned due to my pregnancy and I am still nursing my 23 month old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:40 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Oh you're almost done with the most tiring part, dont give up now!! She's trying to help build your supply. She'll do this again at about 3 months and one more time at about 6 months.

You're doing a good job! Keep it up!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:04 AM on May. 4, 2009

• It can be draining sometimes... but give it some more time... it gets better. Your baby will become more efficiant at the breast and it won't take nearly as long.... my son only takes about 10-15 mins to eat now at 9 months.
    Personally I wouldnt' let her eat 1 1/2 hours... she probably is just pacifiying. Watch for her suck to change or slow and see if you can take her off... you can try giving her your finger to suck on, if she gets upset then put her back on.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:37 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Oh thank you all sooooo much. I really needed the support, encouragement and reassurance.
    Anonymous

• Hang in there, it will get easier really soon! In another few weeks she will be a more efficient nurser and will not take as long and go a little longer between feedings.
    With a little more practice you will find that there are some things you can do while breastfeeding. You can actually get up and walk around a bit (you will learn that really well if you have another one!)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:07 PM on May. 4, 2009