im misscarrying a 6wk old baby...how do i tell my 2 y/o that the baby in my belly has passed away???

what am i supposed to say???

melissacoulter

Asked by melissacoulter at 5:20 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am so sorry. I think I would just tell my son that the baby is gone and in heaven with God. If he had more questions I would answer them. He may be just fine with that. Also if he notices you are sad I would just tell him you are sad because you will not get to meet the baby. Again I am SO sorry and hope some of us have helped you.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:51 AM on May. 4, 2009

• If you are religious, try explaining that God changed his mind and wanted to keep the baby in Heaven for now.

If you aren't, maybe you could try explaining there was something wrong and this baby could not grow, and you might try to make a new baby in the future.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 5:41 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Did he fully understand the pregnancy? I know that my 2 year old, while she understands for the most part.. doesn't fully understand and wouldn't if I explained a miscarriage. I am also 37 weeks pregnant and showing.

I think what you say depends on how much he actually understood. Don't say anything until you are ready, and if he doesn't seem to comprehend then there really isn't much explaining to do. I don't think a two year old fully understands pregnancy, even to term, so a miscarriage would be really hard to explain.

I am sorry for your loss.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:42 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I miscarried in Feb. 1, 2009 at 11 weeks. I know it may sound odd, but we buried the placenta under the apple tree and explained it to our kids. My baby was only 8 months old, my daughter was 5 so she understood a little better. I guess i am not sure how much remains you might have at 6 weeks, but it was good size at 11. We found good closure that way.
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    mom2kadyn

Answer by mom2kadyn at 6:11 PM on May. 7, 2009