do i really need to unplug my tv with comcast/due from voyerism/surveilance

Comcast installs survilance, or do they, some have leaked out that it's built right into the comcast system and it is not refusable, it's a catch 22, you need to have cable to get clear channels, and how may companies are able to use surveilance in your/own home without your permission. Its a violation on privacy rights and rights to have your own domain. perhaps we should go to comcast and surveilance their entire empire. IT's very intrusive, and looking back, Pres. Bush isn't any better giving all access to bombard from after 9-ll doing all the intrusive phone tapping . It rebuilds us all up to know that without electricity we are left alone, and only with green organic, non electronic are we to be unintruded upon. It's the creators' job in his judgement to be vengeful to whom he will, and we should leave well enough alone. Wars cease when human beings are content, peaceful, and need no domination.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• UM. how do you think shows get their ratings? they use those boxes to see what % of the population is watching certain shows at certain times. removing the surveillance would make the TV show infrastructure crumble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Actually that's not true.. above poster. They use the Nielsen rating system. You have to consent to it, and only a small handful of families are selected as a Nielsen family. You used to have to track it by hand... writing down everything you watched and for how long. Now it's done electronically. We were chosen years ago before it was automated, but we denied it. If it's true that Comcast is monitoring their boxes like that (surveillance) then it's for their own reasons, possibly to monitor theft of cable.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 7:17 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Direct TV monitors their boxes as well. It why they say you HAVE to have your box hooked up to a phone line. I never left my box plugged into the phone line.

When I read "surveillance" in the original question, I thought "little camera in the box watching you watch TV".

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:51 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I can barely even make out a legible sentence in your post, so I have no idea wtf you are talking about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Direct TV DOES NOT make you plug your phone line into the box. I have it, I have NEVER plugged my phone line into the box. When it was installed the guy didn't even ask for it. The only reason you have to plug your phone line in, is if you want to play games, or order pay-per-view.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 7:58 AM on May. 4, 2009

• If you are that freaked out about it OP, then get rid of your cable. It's a luxury, not a necessity.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on May. 4, 2009

• ...what? im STILL thinking little cameras watching us LOL! i dont get it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on May. 4, 2009

• So what? Is it really that intrusive that they know what you are watching on TV???? I'm sure there is some guy at Comcast saying, "Hey..... so-and-so is ordering porn again!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on May. 4, 2009

• quoting OP:  "Pres. Bush isn't any better giving all access to bombard..."

Honey, Bush isn't president anymore, now you have to blame someone else.  I agree with the previous posters; you don't like it, don't pay for it.  I have an antennae on my roof and get 35 channels.  That's plenty.  And I don't care if someone knows we watch America's Next Top Model and CSI.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:39 AM on May. 4, 2009

•  mancosmomma, An antenna on your roof?Come on into the 21century. In June you will HAVE to get a box or you will get NO channels whatsoever.The boxes are around 50dollars but the government will pay for fortyof it. A few years ago I was asked by Nielsen to have a box installed and to write down what shows I liked and disliked. I was paid 1 dollar a day but it was very interesting.And Bush DID give access to tap our phones and I DO NOT need to blame anyone else. Bush DID IT,is there something you do not understand? It's called the Patriot Act and it's bullshit. My Lord, pick up a newspaper please.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 4, 2009