Nervous about buying carrier. Have questions.

Im nervous about spending money on a nice carrier for DS. I would really like to try a Mei Tai or Moby, but Im worried that DS will not like it. We have a Bjorn currently and he just tollerates it in short spurts. If you switched from one type of carrier to another, how did your DC handle it. Im short and still working to loose baby weight so Im worried the carrier won't work well for my body, plus I have a bad back. I would like to carry DS on my back so that he can see everything around him, but Im worried about the strain it will put on it. If you have a bad back, how did your back handle it? Also how would I go about measuring to ensure that I order the size proper for me (Im hoping to buy it off of ebay as they have some decent prices right now)?

mag12305cmg

Asked by mag12305cmg at 8:50 AM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• My experience with carriers is that if they don't tend to like being in them for long periods of time then a different carrier isn't going to change that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Well first- baby Bjorn style carriers are bad for a babies development. Any carrier that suspends the baby from the crotch is bad for development. It cuts off circulation to their legs and offers little to know support for their back muscles. I'm a HUGE fan of wraps. I make my own though. The Moby wrap is quite stretchy and you might not get much use out of it once your baby hits 15-20 lbs. Around that weight they start to stretch out and lose support. Mei Tai's have a much higher weight limit but less carrying options. It all depends on how much/how long you are looking to carry your baby. I find that wrap worn correctly offer the best back support. You spread the fabric across your whole back. I've never had back problems with my wrap and my DD is not almost 9 months and 20 lbs. You can look at my page if you want to see the pictures.

RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 9:43 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I know the Bjorn is not the best carrier, but it was given to me. I had to use it in the grocery store while DH was away (military). Now that he can sit up in the cart I don't have to use it..its been about 3 months since it got used last. DS is almost 9 months old and is just getting up to 16 lbs..he is a peanut baby. I just would hate to spend $50-100 on something that I will have no use for. We live in a country where it honestly is easier to carry your baby than use a stroller, so it would be nice to have when we travel around, plus I will be traveling alone with DS soon and will have to make it through airports.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 9:56 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Well there are woven wraps with a very high weight limit. They have very little to no stretch and are very high quality. However, they are very expensive and I don't know what your budget is. Didymos is a popular woven wrap. Also Mei Tais have a high weight limit and are great for back carries! They are also very simple to use. I think a Mei Tai would be a great way to go. I'm sure you can find them on ebay and there are also hand made ones on www.etsy.com.

RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 3:19 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Try making your own if you can sew or know someone who can. Also search for no sew baby carriers and see what you get. You can take things like sheets, pretty tapestries, etc and make them into wraps simply by putting them on and tying them. I personally have made myself about 7 Mei Tais and countless wraps for myself and others. I also like my sling for quick trips too, but it is harder on the back since it only goes over one shoulder.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:36 PM on May. 4, 2009