any advice and help would be great. My son (8) has ADHD and we are just learning how to deal with it and i need all the help I can get!!!

shedomer

Asked by shedomer at 9:17 AM on May. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 1. adhd is not an excuse do not let him use it as one and do not let him do things with that as an excuse.
    2. have a schedule and follow it.
    3. give three warnings
    4. Do not be afraid to try medications if suggested by your doctor.
    5. make sure he stops and looks at you when you are talking and have him repeat what you have said. when giving instructions or directions.
    6. Play board games with him it will help with learning to sit still and waiting for his turn.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:24 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Find a therapist who will work with your son and help him learn how to turn ADD/ADHD into an advantage. Syndicated radio host Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/
    Many children are affected by additives in foods, especially those with attention issues. The Feingold Organization is the best source for information: www.feingold.org.
    Finally, many kids with attention issues are helped with supplementation. My daughter (now 13 and on an advanced academic track) took fish oil caps starting at 7, though we switched her to hemp oil a few years ago. It can take 6-8 weeks for a noticable change.
    Good luck, and let me know how things go.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:02 AM on May. 4, 2009

• thanks so much. we were in denial for so long. " he's just a rowdy boy" but now we have taken our blinders off and realized what is really going on!!! i really appreciate it!!
    shedomer

Answer by shedomer at 2:32 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My five year old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD in Jan. I already knew that she had it. I was diagnosed with it when I was five, but not medicated until I was 20. I chose to medicate her when she was having a difficult time in school. Her activity level was making it hard for her to make friends. She is on the lowest dose of medication and she does seem to do much better. It isn't an overnight fix though. You also should avoid foods with caffine and a lot of sugar. Positive behavoir modification is always best. But you do have to discipline. I tell my daughter that she is still in control of her actions and this is not an excuse. I also do flashcards with her a lot to help her remember her "popcorn" words. Repetition is key! Good luck!
    ajw05703

Answer by ajw05703 at 11:42 AM on May. 5, 2009

• thanks so much!!!
    shedomer

Answer by shedomer at 11:59 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I have to agree with the other posters. Making things consistant and not letting your child use ADHD as an excuse is the best thing for him. My Daughter was diagnosed when she was 8 years old also. My husband felt she was ADD or ADHD from the time she was 4 or 5... me, I was neive to the whole idea and believed she was just being a kid. When my hubby was sent overseas after 9-11, that's when I finally had to break down and have her tested. She was AWEFUL... to the point of playing with matches, throwning lit matches at kids and back of hubby's truck... getting in trouble all the time at school. She was even put into ISS (in school suspension) and thought that was "fun"... She litterally failed the first 3 marking periods of 2nd grade... she was put on medication (Concerta) and passed the 4th marking period with flying colores. They did not hold her back and she passed 3rd grade with Honor's.. all A's & B's.
    Ladybu6205_1969

Answer by Ladybu6205_1969 at 2:07 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i too had blinders on until my son was almso 7! " Hes just got anger issues" hes just likes to talk" IM NOT PUTTING HIM ON MEDS!"

check it out hunie. After I tried avery "diet" no sugar trick the "books" give you, the dr looked at me and said " Ayeshea, you are not a bad mother if you put him on meds!" and thats what i did. He has a 3 strikes and youre out that he follows and I never say " oh you didnt have your pill thats why youre acting this way". NEVER LET HIM THINK THAT HIS ADHD IS AN EXCUSE TO BEHAVE BADLY!
    Pray that you get him on something that works for him and monitor him. Is he sleeping well? Is he eating enough? Does he seem zombified? These questions you should ask urself often until you have found a medication that works for him. For a year my son was on Adderall 15mg. and I didnt like ANYTHING about it. his ticks, his not eating, his " i cant go to sleep" so i talked with is pedi. and we switched him 20mg
    -momOFtwo-

Answer by -momOFtwo- at 5:23 PM on May. 8, 2009

• of Vyvance. And everything is going great. Hes * and very slender so those are things we took into consideration when dosing him. Well Good Luck, God Bless and feel free to message me anytime for support, or if you have questions about ADHD itself or meds.
    -momOFtwo-

Answer by -momOFtwo- at 5:24 PM on May. 8, 2009