Jesus didn't know his seeds?

Jesus states in Matthew [13:31-32], that a mustard seed "is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree". Mark [4:31] again states that the "mustard seed ... is less than all the seeds that be in the earth".

******
This is a blatantly false claim. The mustard seed is NOT the smallest seed, and it doesn't grow into a tree. The seeds of the fruit Wolffia angusta, for example, are much smaller. Some brush off the incorrect claim saying that " The mustard seed was the smallest known to the Jews of that time. (DICTIONARY OF THE BIBLE. 4th ed, John D. Davis, A, 1969). While this may be true, Jesus stated that it was the smallest in all the earth, not the smallest the Jews knew about.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:26 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If God inspired the bible....why is there false information in it because of people's limited knowledge at the time??? Doesn't sound like it's inspired by God....HE should know.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:46 AM on May. 4, 2009

• you werent there, you dont know what he REALLY said, like i said before a lot gets lost in translation
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on May. 4, 2009

• It does? So what's written in the translated Bible is not what it's really suppose to say? Hmm...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:38 AM on May. 4, 2009

• pretty much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on May. 4, 2009

• now you said wollfia seed is the smallest but shouldn't you have said that is the smallest know at this time there my be smaller that will be discovered at a later date. this is just not how people talk. he was making a point talking to people if he had done what you suggest it would have messed up the story and confused people
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:41 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Photobucket
    Photobucket

A mustard seed is very small, and a mustard tree is very large.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:43 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I find it sad that all the OP got out of Jesus' demonstration was the size of the seed. :'(
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:45 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Lexylex, I'm not a moron and I was a Christian and a Sunday School teacher, so I'm quite familar with the parable, thank you... I'm trying to point out things int he bible that science has since proven to be false.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:49 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Interesting!
    I agree with metalcowgirl.

I think that the real question went over some heads :P
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:53 AM on May. 4, 2009

• again...not about the point of the story. I think it was metaphorical about how small your faith has to be....oh but if you were a sunday school teacher, then you know that. Maybe the SMALLEST seed evolved after that time...*snicker*
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:47 PM on May. 4, 2009