How can I stop my daughter from acting up in public?

She screams, kicks, bites, pinches, hits, and bites me in public. She does it at home to, but it's easier to control at home.

noranik

Asked by noranik at 9:45 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make it a habit to not buy things at the register, meaning candy etc. Little toys. If they have a tantrum in the store - give your cart to customer service desk to either return or hold for you. I've done that even with groceries and they've pushed my cart of cold and frozen foods into their freezer to keep things for me putting my name on it. Customer Services have been happy to not have a screeaming hurricane running through the store or in an aisle. Setting my rules in place vocally and saying shopping is quiet time for family not just baby or child helped my kids to under stand. Of course my kids had temper tantrums in stores and parks and at relatives. But when they wouldn't quiet down without buying them a toy or candy I'd leave the store and practiced what I preached. Their tantrums, when it was understood that I would absolutely leave the store and not buy their demands, didn't last long. It's hard isn't it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I think your question should be how to get her to stop these behaviors completely. do not take her out untill she stos them at home. if she does any of these things you get down or pickk her up look her right in the eye and say NO! you will not hurt momy and put her straight in a time out do this any and everytime she acts oout like that and it will stop. If she will not stya in time out use a playpen to confine her during timeout
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:56 AM on May. 4, 2009

• how you deal with that depends on her age. if she at least two yr old I would give her a time out NO MATTER WHERE I WAS 1 min per yr so if she two she gets a two min time out.
    make eye contact tell her you don't hit, pich, bite that hurts make sure you use a firm voice.
    when she is good tell her your proud of her for being good.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:06 AM on May. 5, 2009