Was Isaiah on crack?

"And the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den." A cockatrice is a serpent, hatched from a cock's egg, that can kill with a glance.
They are rare nowadays. 11:8

Out of the serpent's root shall come forth a cockatrice, and his fruit shall be a fiery flying serpent." What ever happened to these fascinating biblical creatures? 14:29

Also, I've looked in my copy of the Bible- Revised Standard Edition and cockatrice now says adder. I dare say an adder is not anywhere close to a cockatrice, so which is it? Did they replace cockatrice later when they realized no one believed in a fake creature like the cockatrice any more? If they did, what else has been changed?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:57 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are several hallucinogenic plants in the deserts of the Middle East--some, including a certain species of mushroom, which were actually used by Israelite priests to "induce" visions. So the odds are in favor of Isaiah having been in the midst of a wild, wild acid trip when he was writing down his visions. It is hard for the Anons. in this post to understand, but we non-believers have a right to comment and to ask questions. Also, there may be someone out there who needs the honest answer to their question--not the fake "god is great" dogma that many of them throw out. I myself have met two so far who felt my answers gave them more truth than the dozens of robotic answers spewed out by others. And I noticed that the Anons. didn't give any real answers, either.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:40 PM on May. 5, 2009

• the bible was very edited!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on May. 4, 2009

• ok was the first one from the king james? IF so that has been found to have may translation errors. the revised standard was a revised version of the kjv. try getting a NIV. they went back to the original scrolls and earliest copies in the original languages to retranslate.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:05 AM on May. 4, 2009

• King James says Asp and it also says that Asp was translated from the word cockatrice...

My question is, if cockatrice was meant to be used to make the reader back then think of a poisoinous snake, then why not simply use the adder or asp or cobra since it was VERY well known?

New American Standard Bible:cobra
    GOD'S WORD® Translation: cobra
    American Standard Version: Asp
    Bible in Basic English: snake
    Douay-Rheims Bible:asp
    Darby Bible Translation:adder
    English Revised Version:asp
    Webster's Bible Translation:asp
    World English Bible:cobra
    Young's Literal Translation:asp

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:28 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Please do not entertain the poor lost lamb. She is trying to bury her belief. We must pray for her healing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Very good example of the issue of translation. IMO it is obvious that this type of thing happened ALL throughout the Bible.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:02 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I'm not poor, lost nor a lamb. I am a human with a brain who questions things... the opposite of you I see Anon...

Also, praying will get you nowhere. If I wasn't meant to believe in God, no matter of praying will change that.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:43 AM on May. 4, 2009

• praying

prayers for your heart ihartu

Anonymous

• ihartu: It seem as if you are trying very hard to convince yourself why you should not believe in God rather than why you should. You are right you do have a brain but it is finite and you do not have the capactity to know everything there is to know about God. Maybe you should start seeking God instead of rebelling against Him and he will show you many things that you do not understand.
    Anonymous