Anyone stop drinking and loose their "friends"

So I stopped drinking- it just seemed like that was all I did- and since I stopped my "best friends" have made all kinds of plans and have gotten together tons- but without me. I am really feeling left out. It is like they can only hang out with me when I am drinking. Do I even talk to them about it- or do I just let it go and hang out with the people who have shown themselves to be my true friends?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• Then they are not real friends. Real friends would support you and still be around no matter what choice you make.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:39 AM on May. 4, 2009

• You don't have to drink to hang out with them. Have a soda, water or juice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on May. 4, 2009

• i had "friends" like that in high school... when i stopped smoking pot, they stopped taking to me & started rumors and stupid shit like that so you're better off without them imo
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:41 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Is it your choice to not hang out with them or are they initiating it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I know what you mean...I have a close cousin who doesn't call or want to hang out with me because she drinks too much and I don't drink enough! I don't drink to get totally wasted, like her. I have stopped hanging out with her, because it's no fun hanging out with someone who watches what and how much I drink. I would stick hanging out with the friends who are not judging you by your decisions.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:43 AM on May. 4, 2009

• It is not my choice- I would hang out if I was invited- I just haven't been invited to any of their activities in months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Been there done that, they are probably not the type of friends you want anyway. I had to disassociate myself from all my friends when I got sober. New better friends will come along. Good Luck
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 12:03 PM on May. 4, 2009

• You're freinds are doing the right thing by not inviting you over to drink since you've stopped drinking. You cannot be mad at that...you should get freinds that are more compatible to you now.....
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:52 PM on May. 4, 2009

• they arent friends if they cut you off like that. i had many "friends'" I met at the bars here in town. I saw them almost every week and we'd dance together to the bands, sit at the same tables, sometimes even hang out outside the bar scene. but once SO and I got serious I didnt go out as much. and once I was preggo I didnt go out at all. I lost all contact with my "friends". I'd call them and leave messages, or myspace them,...no responses. if I bumped into them I'd get a hello, goodbye...as if I was just an acquaintance. and I guess thats all it was. I felt like I was their friend at first. I mean we'd hug and all that stuff, like friends do. so no they werent my true friends from the begininng. I'm sorry you're hurt by this! what a bummer they treated you like this!
    Anonymous