My son is almost 9 months old and I cant take it anymore!

My son is nearly 9 months old and just recently he wont sleep at night..he is eating more often so waking up every 2 hours, even though I give him baby food at his 6pm feeding and then a bottle at his bedtime feeding around 9-930pm. I even tried giving him more than 4 oz( 4 oz is his normal feeding from bottle) but he wont even take a full 4 oz maybe like 3 oz and 1/2. Now is he waking up every 2 hours to eat-believe me I have tried other things like letting him fuss and cry just in case he isn't hungry. we lay him down when sleepy in his crib and usually he falls to sleep on his own, now he wont, he will scream like crazy. we even tried rocking and etc; I believe we have tried everything.please help. oh and when he does wake up at night and he gets sleepy and wants to go back to bed i lay him down and he will just scream, what should I do, any suggestions> Ill consider if i haven't tried already.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a colicky screaming baby for months!!! And mixed in with all that she was constipated for two weeks!!!! Finally I got myself some earplugs and wore them on a string around my neck with high neck shirts so she couldn't grab them and swallow them. try that or stereo head sets - they deaden the screams but don't block them out and allow your nerves to quiet down and be quiet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 4, 2009

• put some cereal in his bottle with the formula
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on May. 4, 2009

• sounds like a growth spurt or teething...in that case the cereal in the bottle won't help...if anything, might make him gassy and worse.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:44 AM on May. 4, 2009

• he also may have gas? if he is eating to much?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:52 AM on May. 4, 2009

• his formula has rice starch in it already..its not colic its between separation anxiety and just not wanting to sleep..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Try teething tablets. If it's teething they'll take care of the fussiness and they're all natural and won't hurt at all if it isn't teething.

It sounds like you could be dealing with a growth spurt that you just have to push through.

The other possibility is food allergies. Sometimes babies suddenly develop milk and or soy allergies and have reactions to their formula around this age. Does he have any red bumps around his mouth at all? When he's fussy, does he scratch his face like it itches?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:18 AM on May. 4, 2009

• no he doesnt have bumps or scratch his face at all, I was thinking its a growth spurt too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Growth spurt, ear infection, or teething.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on May. 4, 2009

• My son was doing that - a combo of ear infection & teething, and the bottle soothed him. Have you brought him to the pediatrician yet? best wishes - just remember, it won't be like this forever!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 11:45 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Wow... only 4oz per feedings? At 6 months old, my son was taking 6-8oz per feeding every 4-5 hours. It gradually declined to solid five 6-8oz bottles a day when he started taking more table foods. Maybe you should try to encourage him to take more formula, especially before bedtime? I know every child has different intake needs, but I would think at 9 months old, he would be drinking more than that. Try burping him if he refuses to finish his bottle, or sitting him upright to see if he burps on his own? When my son was younger, he refused to finish his bottle if he had air lodged in his stomach, and would wake up more frequently throughout the night. He could very well be going through separation anxiety. My son went through that at 8-9 months old, and I am sure it can manifest itself differently in every child. For mine, he was just super clingy and whiny, and it passed within a few weeks.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:47 AM on May. 4, 2009