Christianity or.......................

As a Christian woman, I am seriously bothered by how cruel some of my fellow Christians choose to be. Justifying hate by the Bible. I am curious about something though. Old Testament laws were "fulfilled" by Jesus, therefore no longer apply to Christians, correct? OK. So, on the topic of Gay marriage, or just being gay, where did Jesus actually say anything at all about it? I can't remember Jesus actually ever addressing that issue. Paul did, but Paul didn't want anyone to get married. That is, unless their sexual urges got so out of control, that marriage was the best option. So, riddle me this, who are we actually followers of? Jesus, or Paul? Is it actually Paulianity?

Gretchen2876

Asked by Gretchen2876 at 10:47 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, the Old Testament was fulfilled by Jesus, BUT it doesn't mean that none of it applies anymore. Like Paul said in Romans 7, if there were no commandments, he would not have even known that coveting or the like was a sin. So the old commandments are still guidelines. And it does say in the New Testament about homosexuality still being a sin. Give me just a minute to find the verse.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:53 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Great question.
    I am not Christian, so I can't answer ;)
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:54 AM on May. 4, 2009

• srhmldndo, First off, thank you for replying. My question is about Jesus, whom we are supposed to be following, correct? Jesus never commented on homosexuality. Paul did. The ten commandments, also say nothing of homosexuality.
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 10:56 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I Corinthians 6:9-10. From the NKJV it reads:

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor theives, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

The KJV says "effeminate" in place of homosexuals, which means "having traits that are more often associated with traditional feminine gender roles rather than masculine roles". And in place of sodomites "nor abusers of themselves with mankind".
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:04 AM on May. 4, 2009

• again, that would be Paul.
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 11:05 AM on May. 4, 2009

• The 10 commandments do state to not commit adultery, which adultery is lust or sex outside of marriage. God created the woman as a partner to the man.

Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:10 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Ok, let's go back to where you asked if we are following Jesus or Paul. We follow Jesus. But whereas Jesus has risen and ascended back to His Father for a time, Jesus has brought up His people to teach His Word, while He is away. The Bible (even Acts, Romans, the Corinthians and so on) were written by man, indeed. BUT it is written as God inspired them, or breathed into them to write. Nothing is in the Bible that God doesn't want in it. He works in mighty ways. Just like the Commandments were literally written by Moses, but they were given by God, who told Moses what to write on the tablets. Jesus didn't write the 4 gospels, but had Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John to write these things for Him.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:14 AM on May. 4, 2009

• II Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:18 AM on May. 4, 2009

• i have been wondering this for the past 2 years as well. there are several things that Jesus never talks about, but Christians see as sins, just b/c Paul said they were. there are more writings of Paul than there are about Jesus...how is that possible? i understand that Jesus didnt write anything, but why would our Messiah not be the ONLY main focus of our Bible? so many of Paul's writings are to specific churches telling them what to do/not do...b/c he says so (in the name of Jesus).

Those that see the Bible as 100% literal infallible truth will tell you that God/Jesus gave Paul the inspired gift to write & tell others what is sin & what is not. at least thats what i was told growing up.

okay...so theres my mini rant on Paul. yes i am a Christian, i just have a lot of questions when it comes to Paul
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:19 AM on May. 4, 2009

• It was Paul. Jesus never mentioned it.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:51 AM on May. 4, 2009