Original language of the Bible?

What language did the Apostles write the 4 Gospels that were proving fact and allowed to be put into the Cannon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• hebrew?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I am wanting to say Greek, but I am not sure. I believe the first written Bible was in Greek. However, I think the apostles spoke and wrote in Aramaic (sp?)
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 10:58 AM on May. 4, 2009

• The New Testament, however, was written in Greek. This seems strange, since you might think it would be either Hebrew or Aramaic. However, Greek was the language of scholarship during the years of the composition of the New Testament from 50 to 100 AD. The fact is that many Jews could not even read Hebrew anymore, and this disturbed the Jewish leaders a lot! So, around 300 BC a translation of the Old Testament from Hebrew into Greek was undertaken, and it was completed around 200 BC. Gradually this Greek translation of the Old Testament, called the Septuagint, was widely accepted and was even used in many synagogues. It also became a wonderful missionary tool for the early Christians, for now the Greeks could read God's Word in their own tongue.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I just googled lol thanks for your answers.

the OT would be hebrew
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on May. 4, 2009

• The New Testament was written in Greek, the OT in Aramaic or Hebrew
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:18 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I think the ORIGINAL writings of the NT were in Aramaic, they were translated into Greek and from there into Latin.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Bible/nt-languages.html

The OT was written in Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:50 AM on May. 4, 2009

• does anyone here speak a second language. How hard is it to translate from one language to another. I know my experience with Arabic shows that some concepts do not translate well. Is it possible the bible has suffered from the effects of poor translation? From Greek to Latin to English to modern English?
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 12:13 PM on May. 4, 2009

• OT = Hebrew/Aramaic NT= Greek
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:15 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Greek.
    john1_1

Answer by john1_1 at 12:40 PM on May. 4, 2009

• yes, fireball, i agree completely.translations dont provide for accurate texts. that's the whole reason a Quran is only a real Quran if its in Arabic - anything else is a translation of the Quran, and it is remembered that its lost some of its truth and meaning in the translation.
    =)
    and we have to remember that the Bible has been translated from Greek to Latin to German to English....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:46 PM on May. 4, 2009