Has anyone had good/bad experience with Zyrtec(?) for their school age child?

Daughter 5 years old suffering from seasonal allergies. Tried Claritin, prescription nose spray and eye drops last spring. No real relief. We stayed indoors mostly until late June/July. This year trying Zyrtec and have been at it for 7-10 days and some days better than others.

Mom2KnK09

Asked by Mom2KnK09 at 11:08 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It helped my son, but, all of them did, so, i probably won't be helpful.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:10 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I find that it helps, but I haven't found anything that makes them go away 100%
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:15 PM on May. 4, 2009

• It helps a lot, but I would give it at night because it can cause drowsiness.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:51 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My son, also 5, recently started on a combo of Zyrtec and Singulair for seasonal allergies. He had been on Claritin or about 2 years prior.
    While the allergy symptoms themselves like sneezing and itchy eyes have gotten better, I've noticed a huge change in his mood. He's usually very mild mannered and he's become, I don't know, grumpy? LOL. It's just not like him. I've stopped the Singulair thinking that was the culprit but his mood din't improve. I stopped the Zyrtec for a day or so, and also didn't notice a difference, excpet the allergy symptoms returned.
    I'd be interested in knowing if annyone else has experienced mood changes in their kids while on either or both of these medications. I'm thinking of stopping the Singulair altogether.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 2:55 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Zyrtec made it too difficult for my son to concentrate, and he was too drowsy. But it actually didn't help with his allergies much at all either. He's been taking claritin now and doing much better. We have also started our 7 yo DS on claritin just recently... he has just started with itchy eyes...along with nasal symptoms... It will be interesting to see if it helps him or not. Have you tried simply saline spray at night? (not as a cure, but as a help?)
    bupkie

Answer by bupkie at 5:16 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My son is on Zyrtec D, two times a day as needed. I am on Zyrtec D and Singulair. My son has had NO problems on Zyrtec D, as a matter of fact nothing else works. IT doesn't get rid of allergies completely but it does help a lot. My son has never had mood changes from either of the meds, he is more cranky because of the allergies not the meds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:53 PM on May. 4, 2009

• A new derivative of Zyrtec came out recently (Rx only). It's called Xyzal and is suppose to have taken the side effect troubles away, kept the rest. My son recently switched to it, so I can't say much yet for how it's working for him, but my son's Allergist/Immunologist has hopes that it will work so well that my son will be able to leave all 3 of his allergy meds behind for the one. It will takes months to see if that's how it turns out, though (eliminating one at a time each month). 2 weeks in w/ it replacing Zyrtec has gone well. I'd ask your child's allergist what they think of it as an option. (The other allergy meds my son takes are Allegra and Pepcid --pecid for his autoimmune hives and also for his GERD, it is an antihistamine, too). Good luck!
    wymom94

Answer by wymom94 at 5:53 PM on May. 5, 2009

• zyrtec and claritin worked ok for my daughter whose allergies are pretty bad in spring and fall. I now give her zyrtec and the eye doc. prescribed pataday eye drops for her seeing that her biggest symptom was red itchy eyes.
    bearcat84

Answer by bearcat84 at 8:30 PM on May. 5, 2009