What if you tan before you find out your pregnant?

Whats that do to the baby

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• NOthing. It affects your skin, not the baby. You do't want to become overheated, but I've never heard that tanning isn't safe while pregnant. I mean... tanning is NEVER safe because of the risk of skin cancer, but it's safe for the baby.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:11 AM on May. 4, 2009

• THe two main concerns with tanning are over heating and the fact skin cancer is the only one that crosses the placenta. Both of those are "just in case" things. There is no direct danger to your baby. Tanning is more of a risk to you (anytime) than it is to your baby.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:17 AM on May. 4, 2009

• achually they tell you if you are pregnant not to tan because the lights heat up the amreo and that isn't good on the baby, but if you didn't know I think it would be fine as long as you stop tanning now that you know. Although my sisters doctor told her to stop tanning why she is pregnant and she wouldn't stop until she was about 6 or 7 months and my grandma told her that if the dr told her to stop tanning then to stop so then she stopped he is fine now and he is almost 10 months old. But I wouldn't risk my child so I would stop going as soon as possibe. But everything is probably fine with your baby
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:18 AM on May. 4, 2009

• i tan and i know im pregnant, i asked my doctor and she said it doesnt penatrate deeper than the first layer of skin so it doesnt affect the baby at all. if you begin to feel like your getting too hot just step out of the bed for a minute until you feel cooled down, but other than that you should be fine
    svanderlip4208

Answer by svanderlip4208 at 1:21 PM on May. 4, 2009