Do you judge a handshake?

I was always taught that a firm handshake, regardless of gender, indicates a sign of confidence. I have always had this take when I am introduced to someone. I try to give a firm handshake, but find that so many females try to give this dainty little handshake. I mean, I'm not pumping your arm up and down or try to crush a hand, but I also like to convey that I am confident in who I am!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 11:18 AM on May. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I also hate the weak handshakes from men and women. It really can be a deal breaker. When my SO met my dad for the first time, apparently my dad gave a weak handshake and since then, SO doesn't care for him! I asked him why and he said because of that handshake, he felt my dad did not have any respect for him.
    Anonymous

• I was always taught that too. I've also always tried to give a firm handshake, but I think I always end up giving a "light" one.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 11:19 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I judge a handshake. It drives me crazy when women try to give me the tips of their fingers, like I'm supposed to kiss their hand or something. I'm a woman too, what makes you think YOU get the dainty finger shake? :p I give a relatively firm handshake too. I've had a couple of men shake my hand and I feel like I'm crushing the bones on their fingers together because they're being such wimps about it :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:21 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I was taught the same thing, and I try to do it every time, but there are times when people grab my hand the wrong way and I can not do it properly. Whenever I receive a weak hand shake I look at the person to figure out why. It's annoying.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 11:22 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Yes, I judge a hand shake. Its bad enough if you get a weak shake from a woman, but have you ever gotten a limp wet noodle from a man? (boy that sounds like I'm talking about something else =)... anyway, a weak handshake from a man is THE worst.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:23 AM on May. 4, 2009

• yes i do. my least favorite is when they just barely put their fingers in your hand so you shake their fingertips...ugg! what am i supposed to do w/ that?!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:27 AM on May. 4, 2009

• When I shake another persons hand I always use both hands, I shake with one and put my other hand on top of theirs, it's something I've always done. My husband say's it's because I'm so motherly,lol I'm not sure what that means but I hope it's not a weird thing to people.. If it is I will stop,lol
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:38 AM on May. 4, 2009

• yes! i always complain to my husband when i get a weak handshake.....expecially from a man....its like they think they will hurt me if they shake my hand the right way haha....i shake their hand harder than they shake mine and i hate it!
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 11:45 AM on May. 4, 2009

• The weak ones from women are annoying, but the ones I really hate are the wimpy ones from men. It always gives me the creeps. You're a man, shake hands like one!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 11:50 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Yes I do, it's a big first impression for me.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:55 AM on May. 4, 2009