My 16 month old is still drinking a bottle of milk about 3 times a day. Is she too old to be on the bottle. If not, what age do you reccomend?

Asked by haileyannsmomma at 9:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes... it is recommended for baby to be off the bottle @ 12 months! So you should try replacing the bottle with a sippy cup. NUBY makes sippy cups that have soft silicone tops and spouts.. I would pick some up..They are avaliabe at walmart. It won't be easy but it is best. I started taking it away one at a time... So try 2 bottles tomorrow and then one and then none! Good Luck:o)

Answer by emturner at 9:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Our Dr. said for my lil man to be off the bottle at 12 months! Well he is 20 months now and takes his bottle at nap time and to go to bed at night! His teeth are fine and he drinks out of a sippy cup with his juice and such but will only drink milk out of his bottle! I am going to let him wean himself cause when he is ready he will let me know! My Dr. told me that he cant tell me how to raise my child but I should just take it from him and dont give it back! I cant do that! If your lil one only uses it during the day running around I would just toss all bottles out and get the nuby sippy cup with the straw Ayden loves that one!! If your lil one takes it at naps and bedtime... you got me!! If you find a way to do it let me know!! :D

Answer by aydens_mama at 9:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• 12 months is the cut-off for bottles. Nuby sippie cups are great becuse the nipple is similar to that of a bottle. I would start my child on sippies all day and only give him/her a bottle at bedtime and after a couple of weeks move to all sippies. Be sure to tell your child that they are such a big boy/girl when they drink out of the sippie cup.

Answer by EmmieandMom at 10:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i agree to old i did only one bottle at bed time and sippys all day as well

• My 19 month old still has a bottle before bed. As long as you are protecting their teeth and being carefull about that they will be fine. It is recomended that you stop around 1 year but that is just not on my son's agenda. I have spoken with his Dr about this and his physical therapist, they both say its fine for him to have that bottle a day.

Answer by libbykate at 12:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My daughter is also 16 months and we still give her a bottle every now and then, it is recommended to stop at 12 months but my daughter gets jealous of my sons bottle so I give in sometimes...Nuby does make soft spouted sippy cups but be careful when you wash them because all of ours tore and I threw them away, I like our playtex ones a lotbetter...just keep giving the sippy cups, she may not like it at first but keep trying, she'll get it soon enough :)

Answer by badd_kitten at 1:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i was told to have my twin girls off the bottle by 12 months. i tried several kinds of sippy cups with no luck until i got the kind with a straw. they took to those right away and by 10 months had no more bottles.

Answer by mrspierce06 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my kids were both down to a sippy cups when they were between 9 and 10 months. so it was not a problem for us. they were very excited to drink out of sippies. but my kids also never had juice in a bottle, i figured when they were old enough to have juice...they were old enough to have a sippy. that was around 4 months.

Answer by mommybutterfly at 4:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• yes i think thats a little too old..if you want to try to get her off of ot you should try to only put water in the bottles, and put things that she likes(milk,juice etc) in the sippy cut that way she will associate the bottle with things that she dosnt like to drink and the sippy cup with things that she does.

Answer by Tbell17 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2008