front-load, HE washer/dryers?

My husband and I need to buy a new washer/dryer set, and are highly considering the new front-loading, high-efficiency ones. As they are quite an expen$e, we want to make an informed decision! Does any one own a set? What brand? Pros and Cons? Thank you!

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 12:26 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We have a wirlpool one and LOVE ours. LOVE IT. Its such a good washer and dryer. Like I can't say this enough- I LOVE IT. I look forward to many years with my washer and dryer. Haha

Our electric bill went down and water bill! GREAT CHOICE.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:29 PM on May. 4, 2009

• We just got ours last Oct. We have a Samsung set with VRT---vibration thing. We just got the basic set and did not go for the steam clean. They could not tell me anything about the steam except it gets out wrinkles. Well so does the regular dryer. I do like the set, but honestly do not see a major difference in how well it cleans our clothes (family of 5). I would probably try the Eloctrux (I'm hacking the name), the one Kelly Ripa endorses. It has a super fast cleaning cycle and dries in 18 min. We didn't like the doors. We have clean clothes, and they work. I did research and Consumer's Reports did not like the Whirlpool brand much. That's about all I know. But, you do need to switch out your clothes and not leave them overnight, wet. They mildew faster because there is no air ventilation. We haven't had a problem, but I've heard others have.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:31 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My sister and my mom both have them. My sister said she cannot leave her clothes in the washer for any length of time otherwise they sour. My mom loves her dryer.
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 12:32 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I love that mine are HE AND high capacity, it cuts down on my laundry time! We also have seen a very noticeable difference in our water bill since we got them. They clean well, and we did get the "stand" for the washer so it sits up higher, I like that because I don't have to bend down to pull the clothes out. A couple things I don't like, the laundry soap for them is more expensive, still saving money overall though and I hate that there is no door stop for the washer so while I'm taking the clothes out it swings back and forth and I have to push it out of my way the whole time. Minor annoyances, over all I love them though. We didn't buy ours as a set, we got them as we needed each so they aren't the same brand. My hubby looked on consumer reports for our best buy for each so out washer is Frigidaire and dryer is GE. Both work great!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:33 PM on May. 4, 2009

• We have a Samsung brand. We bought them in Feb. 2007. We LOVE LOVE LOVE them!! Our washing machine has a "Silver Care" feature that disinfects so anytime we are sick, or my son as an accident we use that. It has different settings for Normal, Heavy, Whites, Towels, Perm-Pres, Ect. My favorite thing about the dryer is the "Wrinkle Release" and "Wrinkle Prevent" The prevent allows you to leave clothes in the dryer and once the cycle is done it comes on every few minutes and tosses the clothes so they do not get as wrinkled. Good luck on this big purchase!!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 12:35 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I have the first generation Whirlpool duet. They are overpriced. Im not saying their not good, but they don't wash any better than a regular set. You have more settings though. The price has actually gone up since I bought mine 3 yrs ago. The washer has no agitator so it wrings the clothes out by tossing them back and forth. That tends to make the legs of jeans and arms of shirts knot around one another. You cannot leave them in there very long or they sour, the drain has to be cleaned regularly. The dryer is quite roomy, but has a sensor in it that tells it when to shut off so its not using so much energy. Unfortunately if the load is light, it will shut off too soon. It has left wet clothes in there many times. If you use the timed dry, then it goes the full amt of time. So you just have to know when to use what. Its not as effective for small loads. Its meant for people who do major amts of laundry...like me...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:58 PM on May. 4, 2009

• The rubber ring around the door will always stink, really stink. There is no way to get the smell out, I don't care how hard you try. Consumer reports says the washers work well, but the rubber seals have a constant smell and replace rate every 6 months. I would never have one.
    Anonymous

• We've owned a Maytag Neptune set for the past 7+ years, and have NEVER had a problem or need for a service call! Considering our BOY children are 7 and 5, this set has seen it's share of use, and it works beautifully!

I bought our set at Sears in 2002, and we did purchase the 3 year extended warranty, because we ended up spending about $2100 total. I usually only buy the extended warranty agreements on items that cost over $1500, or have lots of little and easily breakable parts! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:50 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Check and see what extras the stores are offering. When we got ours at Lowes, the nice red whirlpool ones, we got the delivery charge back, we got a rebate from the company for buying the pair, plus we got 10 coupons for free tide. It was supposed to be up to a years worth of tide, but it will last maybe 8 months for us. But check out the deals/coupons/rebates.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 7:55 PM on May. 4, 2009