How many C-Sections can you have safely?

I've always wanted top have 3 or 4 kids, but when my first son was born he had to be delivered by C-Section, will i be able to have 3 or 4 c-sections? Or is that too risky?

trl30

Asked by trl30 at 12:40 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • You would have to ask your doctor.
    Anonymous

• my mother had 4 and was fine. however each woman is diff and depending on why you had the c-section and how it was performed you may not be able to have more than 1 or 2, but you can also try for a VBAC
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:45 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Repeat cesareans are even riskier than the first. I do not know an exact number for you as far as back to back cesareans. You can, as a PP said, opt for a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean).
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:52 PM on May. 4, 2009

• A friend of mine had seven. Then they told her to stop. If you want more kids than your doctor feels is safe, talk to a bunch of doctors to get some second opinions.
    busyizzybsmom

Answer by busyizzybsmom at 1:02 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Depends on your body, and how you heal everytime you have one. A friend of mine had four, and her doctor told her he will do one more. I had my second c-section 3 months ago, (due to medical reasons)and my recovery was longer than with my first one. You have to consider how well you heal, your age, and think about scar tissue. If you are able to have a VBAC, I would go with that. C-sections are major surgery, and risky, so if they are not really necessary, they should be avoided.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:24 PM on May. 5, 2009