when can i start feeding my baby puree fruits like bannas and apple and what not??

my baby was just born on april 30th so i know shes far from the point of eating anything yet but i would like to know when she can eat things like gerber puree fruits so i can save some money instead of just giving her formula all the time... any info would be great thankyou

Brandi2088

Asked by Brandi2088 at 12:44 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• 4-6 months. Docs prefer 6 months but if not satisfied with bottle feeding they ask you discuss it with them. I have fed my babies at 4-5 months for that reason. They will tell you to keep it to one fruit variety per 24 hrs and use the same flavored juice. This is so you and the doc can learn of any food allergies. NO DAIRY, EGGS, HONEY, OR NUTS UNTIL AFTER 12 MONTHS OF AGE!!!!
    Anonymous

• We started our first son on rice cereal at around 3 months and our second around 4 months. Then we slowly progressed into baby foods. They suggest one food for 4 days to see if they have an allergic reaction. I agree with first poster about the milk, honey or nuts after 1 year, but was told yogurt and small amounts of egg was okay at 9 months.
    Anonymous

• Six months is the right age to start solids. Remember, before baby's first birthday solids are not for nutrition, they are for the experience of eating solids. You will need to avoid the allergy trigger foods before baby's first birthday, this is not a complete list, but includes wheat, dairy, soy, citrus, strawberries. Nuts and honey should not be given until after the second birthday. Avocado is a great first food, full of healthy fats for babies' brains. Cooked sweet potato and cooked beans are two more nutrional powerhouses. www.superbabyfood.com is the website for a great book on feeding babies and toddlers; you should be able to find it at your local library. Be sure that you are setting a great example for your baby by eating healthy foods. At least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. 7-8 servings of fruits and veggies in at least 3 colors every day. 7 servings a day of whole grains.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I started my kids at 4 months, first on cereal then vegis, then fruits. Let them get used to one thing before going on to the next, and watch for allergies. If you see a rash chances are they are allergic.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:40 PM on May. 4, 2009